CD burning speed??

N

neo090282

Just a quick one, what are the effects of burning a cd faster than it is recommended?

For instance, If I burnt a 4x CD at 8x for example??

Ta

You'll be asking for trouble. Disks are cheap so go get the right speed.

What do you reckon the chance of messing them up is?

90% or lower?

Ta

well, there are 2 things i could think of that.... might happen.

1. because you're trying to send data to the cd faster than it can write to it, it will probably turn the CD into a coaster about..... 99.985% of the time. or...

2. Could end up happening like the reason they say CD-RW drives can't really get much faster than they are now. which is the fact that the CD may not be meant for that kind of speed, could crack, and damage the CD-RW drive very badly.

highly doubt that #2 would happen, since the write speed is only the speed that the Drive/CD can Send/accept data, but #1 will most likely happen FAR too often.

P.S. the percentage for #1 is probably a major overexaggeration, but is still not worth all the coasters you'd probably get.

I stand told, i'll go out and get some faster ones at the weekend.

Cheers guys

It's all a question of the dye used on the media. Faster CD's use better dyes. Now to really screw the pooch:

My Fuji 24x CD's will only burn at a max of 16x. My liteon 40x burner says they use 16x max dyes.

My Imation 24x CD's will burn reliably at 40x on the liteon which recognizes them as 40x CD's. No coasters, no data loss after 6 months.

I get the blank CD's (Fuji or Imation) on sale at Best Buy for $0.10 a peice after rebates (which always come through). My burner software of choice is Nero and Clone CD.

Draw your own conclusoins. I just buy Imation now.

I find some things just need to be burned at slower speeds ... but its not like I am in a hurry set it to burn and do something else instead of sitting there watching that little bar go 1mm every so many seconds LOL

:p

Like LeeJend says, you should be able to burn cd's reliably at the maximum speed nero permits. I've used 16x Traxdata which have burned without flaw at 40x and 24x strand which burn at 48x. I've never had my cds limited to a speed lower than their rating though!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back