CD Burner Question

Richy

Beyond All Comprehension.
Question

Can burners go out? Because some cd's that I burn don't work, and others that I burned before do. I just now burned an audio cd and it acts like it skips a lot on my cd player.... Any ideas?

Be a little more specific.

There are many things that can cause these problems:

1) Burner dying
2) Lens is dirty, buy a lens cleaning kit
3) ASPI layer is screwed
4) IDE drivers are screwed.
5) Incompatible cdr manufacturer
6) Bad cdr media

amongst other things

Can burners go out? Because some cd's that I burn don't work, and others that I burned before do. I just now burned an audio cd and it acts like it skips a lot on my cd player.... Any ideas?

Sure, burners can go out. It can also be the quality of the purchased cds. You may want to purchase a laser lens cleaner, and pop it in. That should help.

Be a little more specific.

There are many things that can cause these problems:

1) Burner dying
2) Lens is dirty, buy a lens cleaning kit
3) ASPI layer is screwed
4) IDE drivers are screwed.
5) Incompatible cdr manufacturer
6) Bad cdr media

amongst other things

Damn, beat me to it.

Yes, they certainly can deteriorate over time. Been through about 3 just in this computer. Can't normally be bothered to work out what the problem is, CD burners are so cheap these days.

MdSalih

Richy,
I don't know if you're new or not, but I'd like to point out one of the forum rules for future reference:

• Do not use vague words in your topic.
Topics such as "help me" will often be ignored- Members will be more likely to view a thread if the topic is more definitive. We want to help, however we can't if we are not lead to the thread

dreamliner77 said:
Richy,
I don't know if you're new or not, but I'd like to point out one of the forum rules for future reference:

• Do not use vague words in your topic.
Topics such as "help me" will often be ignored- Members will be more likely to view a thread if the topic is more definitive. We want to help, however we can't if we are not lead to the thread

Nah, Im not new. Im actually ReC0iL, but I changed my name to Richy. Well lets see, the burner is about a year old maybe... It's one of those Toshiba CD-RW/DVD Combo drives. The wierd thing is, like in my truck, Someone will stick in one of their own CD-R's and it will play fine, but the ones that I burn rarely work anymore. I have heard of burners dying, but I didn't know if they were right. Im just saying, my burner must be dieing because everything worked fine until just here in these recent months. I was thinking maybe the cd player in the truck might not play CD-R's... but I tried it in my portable cd player and it didn't work at all, like I said, it seemed to act like they were scratched. Then I thought maybe it was the blank cd's, because I have some sony's and some maxell's... And the sony's would work more, but I guess that wasn't the problem. It's no biggie if I need to order a new burner or whatever, I wanted to get updated on the burner speeds anyway.

Faster burn speeds arent' always better.

What speed is this drive?

16x seems to be a sweet speed to burn at

try half of whatever your max is

also try playing back the cd in that drive

Do data disks work fine?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back