CD Burner Info

W

WiredBrain

I'm considering buying a cd burner with USD 45.

1. With that small budget, can I get a good and affordable cd burner ?

2. Can you recommend a few reliable model ?
[I prefer one from LiteOn]

3. Any tips or info I need to know when shopping for it.

Thank you.

I have A Pacific Digital 52x24x52 that works perfect.
payed only 30$ for at staples after rebates.
works flawlessly

Yeah!!! LiteOn drives are da best!! :cool:
Not sure about prices in the US, but you can get an internal CDRW (48x24x48) for about the equivalent to $50 in the UK.

EDIT: forgot to mention that i saw that price around 3 months ago.

a liteon 52x38x52 cost £~35 which is nearly $60 :(

the 48X24X48 is within your price range though :cool:

I think I'll settle for that but

1. What's the difference between writing and rewriting ?
2. Does it come with any software ?

Another thing, what's the latest model/fastest speed ? Just want to make some comparison.

1) writing is the normal burning that you do with a cd-r. RE-writing involves a slighty more expensive cd-rw disc which can be written to and erased over and over again. the rewrite speed is the max speed that can be written to a cd-rw disc. but keep in mind cd-rw discs that are 32x compatible are quite rare. even 24x discs are hard to find, as far as i know. so your rewrite speed is likely going to be limited by the disc itself.

2) you can look at those items at newegg.com and see what comes with it. both the retail and oem come with nero express. the retail comes with one cd-r and one cd-rw disc.

and 52x32x52x is the fastest i've seen from anyone.

Most recommmended brands for CDRW are LiteOn and Plextor as far as I know.

52.32.52 is probably the fastest they will come out with for a LONG time, if not ever. mostly due to the fact that when a cd spins fast enough it will actually break inside the drive causing some serious damage. I believe that even the newer 52x drives have a feature that slows down the CD as it's spinning every once in a while. Their main concern now is probably boosting the speed of DVD writers and re-writers.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Lite-On for the last three years (none of my drives have broken), but ask some other people about theirs and see what they think.

What's the difference(s) between the retail and OEM ?
Since this will be the first time I'm installing a cd writer myself, will it be too difficult ?

Retail usually comes in a box, has a longer warranty, has screws and hard drive cables included, and Nero Burning Rom (if it's a Lite-On, anyway). It's not difficult to install. All you have to do is plug in the power cable, drive cable, and make sure the master/slave/cable select jumper is where you want it.

The boxed version usually doesn't cost much more than the OEM, and you actually end up saving money and time buying boxed if you don't already own the cables/screws.

Originally posted by WiredBrain
What's the difference(s) between the retail and OEM ?
Originally posted by taurus
2) you can look at those items at newegg.com and see what comes with it. both the retail and oem come with nero express. the retail comes with one cd-r and one cd-rw disc.

that's the only difference between between retail and oem; the cd-r and cd-rw discs. they both come with software and neither comes with screws or extra hardware. i'm pretty sure the warranty is the same on both, too.

Originally posted by taurus
that's the only difference between between retail and oem; the cd-r and cd-rw discs. they both come with software and neither comes with screws or extra hardware. i'm pretty sure the warranty is the same on both, too.

Wow.. you got conned when you bought your CDRW mate.
I got screws with mine! :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back