Ccleaner 2.0 Beta Now Available

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Just saw this from a post over at Cybernet

Features of CCleaner 2.0:

• Complete rebuild in C++
    With the requirements for a portable version, 64-bit compatibility and Windows Vista increasing against the limitations of the old architecture. We decided to rebuild the entire CCleaner application in highly optimized C++.
  • Faster analyzing and cleaning
    Each scanning process was rewritten from scratch and fully optimized. The result being a noticeable speed increase in all areas.
  • Portable
    CCleaner can now run from a USB thumbdrive and be installed/run on a computer without a complicated setup process.
  • Compact
    The rewrite removed all external file dependencies, so the main EXE is now half the size of the original program and support files.
  • Redesigned User Interface
    The original CCleaner user interface was looking a little dated, so the GUI was redesigned with a modern look, but without sacrificing speed or usability. New icons were created for the interface and the main program icon was updated with a more modern style.
  • Exclusions
    It is now possible to specify files, folders and registry keys to ignore from the cleaning process.
  • Loads of little tweaks
    Too numerous to mention them all separately, we've tried to improve CCleaner in all areas.
More info & Download: http://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner-20

Awesome, I love CCleaner, when is 2.0 out of beta and finished?

No, I would not recommend it for use on a production server.

Ok, I'm feeling stupid tonight.

Installed the Beta on my thumb drive and am analyzing and cleaning now.

Wish me luck. I'll report back, if I can...

Update 1-
Cleaned ok. Didint' tag anything crititcal. Registry scanning now.

Update 2-
Ran a registry clean and no problems came up. Rebooted and everything still works. It looks safe.

I had one issue with a flickering cursor and unending disk access, but I'm pretty sure it was my U3 thumb drive, not Ccleaner. I installed on a regular thumb drive and there were no anomalies.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
good to see they're making a big update.. ccleaner is pretty neat =)

I love this program. Thanx for the info :)

I have to warn everyone about the aleged registry cleaners

sometimes there are registry entries that look like they go nowhere but that's because the program or hardware isn't running or installed

when a program becomes corrupt or doesn't do something you might expect it to do you won't even know it was a registry entry that was deleted

I have no problem cleaning files but I really think registry cleaners should be left unused in programs like this and even in best case scenarion where it's removing wasted entries there isn't any performance benefit

I have to agree - never really noticed a benefit either way wrt registry cleaners.

Not counting keys/values for spyware/virii that is.

I have been using CCleaner for about 6 months now, and now with 2.0.

I haven't had any problems with it, and I guess no real notice in performance or change in the running of my system. I guess its more of a feeling for me, that my system is as clean and organized as it can get.

I have to warn everyone about the aleged registry cleaners

sometimes there are registry entries that look like they go nowhere but that's because the program or hardware isn't running or installed

when a program becomes corrupt or doesn't do something you might expect it to do you won't even know it was a registry entry that was deleted

I have no problem cleaning files but I really think registry cleaners should be left unused in programs like this and even in best case scenarion where it's removing wasted entries there isn't any performance benefit

This program only cleans the registry of tmp short cut traces and uninstalled programs. It doesn't go threw like a deep reg cleaner and delete everything it feels is not good. I do agree that you should be careful with reg cleaner that are deep cleaner, but crap cleaner reg cleaner is a soft cleaner. I use it all the time and never had a problem with it. If you feel it is not affective, or does something it shouldn't have; you can always save the clean out incase you have to put it back in again.

I agree with Johnny, the reg cleaner engine is very safe with CCleaner. I have tested the beta and it is a super piece of software. Awesome

safe but pointless. what was hard in understanding that?

Oh and don't clean out old prefetch files either. that will slow things down for you.

Registry cleaning has one benefit, and that is to clean up/fix the leftovers from incomplete/problematic uninstallers. Aside from that, there is no reason to bother the registry.

"A few hundred kilobytes of unused keys and values causes no noticeable performance impact on system operation. Even if the registry was massively bloated there would be little impact on the performance of anything other than exhaustive searches."

"Registry Cleaners can fix problems associated with traces of applications left behind due to incomplete uninstalls. So it seems that Registry junk is a Windows fact of life and that Registry cleaners will continue to have a place in the ****-sysadmin's tool chest, at least until we're all running .NET applications that store their per-user settings in XML files - and then of course we'll need XML cleaners."

Source: Registry Junk: A Windows Fact of Life

----

As LordOfLA has said, don't clean out the Prefetch. Leave it alone.

As documented in my PC Maintenance page about CCleaner:

The following items should not be checked.

• “Memory Dumps”
  • “Hotfix Uninstallers”
  • “Old Prefetch Data”

The Memory Dumps cleaning option will remove any memory dumps that are generated when a program crashes on your computer. Many technicians can use these memory dumps to tell you exactly what caused the crash. These memory dumps are also sent to a crash analysis center at Microsoft when you use the Error Reporting feature. Reporting these errors and sending the crash dumps help all users because hotfixes are often issued to fix the very problem that made the program crash.

The Hotfix Uninstallers cleaning option will remove every hotfix uninstaller. This is a bad option for CCleaner to have. If you have this option checked and you remove your hotfix uninstallers, should you ever have an issue with an update (hotfix) from Microsoft, you would not be able to uninstall the problematic hotfix. This could potentially result in your system being crippled.

The Old Prefetch Data cleaning option will decrease your system performance. The impact that cleaning/deleting the prefetch data has on your system is well documented by technicians and Microsoft staff. Prefetch is designed to allow your applications to load faster.

Unchecking the above options will ensure your computer remains in proper working order and have better performance.

Memory dumps in my experiance are not as helpful as the stop messages themselves. Error reporting creates it's own dumps if it needs one to send.

You really shouldn't be uninstalling hotfixes period.

Well if you have a prob with a hotfix and you happen to use the hotfix uninstallers cleaning thing you could reinstall the hotfix and then uninstall it. But if a hotfix were to be buggy (yes some are, so yes you really should uninstall a hotfix, if need be), it would be buggy right away. Not days down the line. Then ya just uninstall it and done. Plus do use Ccleaner every day for that to be an issue?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back