cat 5 cables question

• Thread starter mafiafromrussia
  • Start date
M

mafiafromrussia

i've got a long cat 5 cable for my networking needs the only thing it's missing is that thing on the picture. so my question is can i get this somewhere online? so i can attach it to my cable on my own?

I'm sure you will be able to buy them online somewhere, you'd need some sort of crimping tool to actually fit it though.

Try going to a local computer shop/store, they'll probably sort you out for a small fee, or possibly even free :)

yea i though of going there, but i'm too lazy to make a trip in that direction :) so for now i am looking for some place online where i could get it. if i cant find it then i'll be going to stores around me

What your after is an RJ 45 connector, as mentioned you will require a special crimping tool, the connector itself can be bought from any electronics store.
If you are connecting it yourself be sure the pin out is correct for your application EG: PC to PC or through a hub, as each config requires a different pin out.

if you live in maine, Ill put a head on for you.. its tricky if you havent done it before

well i live in NY. and i'll just go to one of local stores and do that thing. thanks for replyes

went to a store. those rj45 conectors are just 25 cents :) and to crimple it would not be too expensive :)

umm yet another question.

i bought the connectors and put that **** on by myself.
i did it this way
1 WHT/GRN
2 GRN/WHT
3 WHT/ORG
4 BLU/WHT
5 WHT/BLU
6 ORG/WHT
7 WHT/BRN
8 BRN/WHT

and tryed connecting my dsl model to computer and it worked fine. i'm gona get my router later today or probably tomorow. will this settings work fine on router to computer?

dude, i'll tell you a little secret. the order of the wires doesn't matter. the key is to get the wiring order on both ends of the cable the same. the order that it is supposed go in is:

(with the little tab thing facing down)
green
white stripe green
blue
orange
white stripe orange
white stripe blue
brown
white stripe brown

oDin.

Edit: all i want for xmas is the ablility to spell

well as i connected it it's , on both ends with tab facing right

left side:
1 white with green
2 green
3 white with orange
4 blue
5 white with blue
6 orange
7 white with brown
8 brown
right side. and as i said i tryed it for my dsl modem it worked. but as u say i hope it will work fine with router.

AHH sorry, bum steer there, its actually the oposite to what i said..
straight through for hub conX and crossover for pc-pc.

Thats what happens when i haven't had my morning coffee:(

well that's pretty much what i have, except 2 colors are switched(with respect) . thanks 4 help

allright got my outer. quick connected it. so far everything seems to work ok. gona go deep into this tomorow. my config worked. thanks all

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back