Case Fans?

DoNuTjC

OSNN Addict
I just got a new case that holds 1 120mm fan in the front and 1 120mm fan in the back... I'm not liking the fans that the case came with so I wanted to know what are some good 120mm fans that have high cfm and low dba?

thanks

I just got a variable speed enermax its a great fan, also it has clear blades so i modded it and put LEDS on it :D

just curious, but what don't you like about your fans?

also, what case do you have? i like the idea of having a couple 120mm fans instead of a half doizen 80mm ones.

the fans don't cool the computer to well, they are silent though...

I have this case...

d8000_m_ol_1-2.jpg

Papst has a good range of fans, from silent to effective and speed controlled.

Hey DoNuTjC, I have the same case (D8000 from Coolcases). Very nice. I have the JMC that Jim put it for me at the front, and an Enermax Ultra-Cool at the back for exhaust. I've undervolted both to 7V and they are both very quiet.

The Enermax has built in speed control. I bought a Zalman Fanmate with a 4-pin to 3-pin adapter for the JMC. But any speed control device will work. In fact most motherboards now-a-days have fan speed monitoring built in.

To run a 12V fan at 7V you connect the GND lead of the fan to the +5V rail instead of GND. 12V - 5V = 7V. :)

Or you can get a 2 pack - 10W 10 ohm resistors for $1.49 from radio shack and try different series parallel combinations in series with the 12V lead. That drops the voltage to 10-11V which takes the edge off the whining but keeps the air flow pretty high.

Or Vantec has a really cool (blue leds behind the adjustment pots) 4 channel fan speed controller that fits in a 5.25 inch bay. You can individually adjust up to 4 fans off of it (including the CPU). About $25.

But looking at your case I'm not sure it's the fans. It looks like the air holes in the front grill (plastic and metal) aren't large enough to let a good airflow in. I had a case like that and after taking a dremel tool to the air slots internal temp's dropped about 8 deg C. Then I got sick of looking at the hacked up mess and bought a case with nice big air inlet slots. And dropped the system temp another 7 deg C.

Originally posted by LeeJend
Or you can get a 2 pack - 10W 10 ohm resistors for $1.49 from radio shack and try different series parallel combinations in series with the 12V lead. That drops the voltage to 10-11V which takes the edge off the whining but keeps the air flow pretty high.

That's what those speed control devices that I mentioned are. They're just variable ohm resistors with manual adjuster knobs. Easier to work with for people who aren't comfortable messing with the wiring. But either one you choose will have the same effect, DoNuTjC.

I got new fans... 2 Panaflo 120mm L1A and a fan controler that works GREAT!!!!

thanks guys

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back