carpal tunnel syndrome

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
So since the forums is full over computer users, who here has CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome)? Who here has fears of getting CTS? I for one dont ever want it but many of us in the IT world use computers all days. So getting CTS is only a matter of time. I am just curious how other people feel about this. My boss was just diagnosed with a slight case of CTS. He is 42. So i am sure we will all get it one day.........

comments?

I never had it. I don't think about it either ..

CTS is something that comes and goes, I get it everytime I use the computer with poor posture.

If you buy a decent mouse and keyboard, and use a desk with enough room to keep your wrists supported you'll be okay.

This is why I spend £40+ on mice - the cheaper ones give me CTS too often.

I'd have to agree with Lord here, posture is everything. I've had it, it ususally showed up when I was lifting weights, and I was working on computers at the shipping docks.

I have it, but mostly because I turn a wrench for a living. I don't think about it until it gets to the point that one of my hands (or both) goes numb and I have to stop and shake them to get feeling back into them.

It's bad when I ride my bike (motorcycle) for very long periods or go on a long "run". I don't even feel my hands then and I go on pure second nature when braking, accellerating and clutching/shifting.

And sometimes it's like there is nothing wrong with them. Strange really. :s

I have the super-duper uber-reflex syndrome.

Gives me better frag/death ratio's in FPS :smoker:

Some days its bad, some days it isn't. I got an expensive wrist guard for it from my doctor, which is really nice on the bad days. Good mouse, good keyboard, and moving the mouse more with your elbows and shoulders helps too. Go easy on the wrists.

Mine also gets aggrevated when I do varied heavy labor, too (carrying stuff, wheelbarrows, etc.)

My mam and my aunty have carpal tunnel syndrome and they both had an operation on each hand which involved cutting the carpal ligament to make more space for the nerves and tendons :speechless:
I think damnyank's had the op for it too.

Evil Marge said:
My mam and my aunty have carpal tunnel syndrome and they both had an operation on each hand which involved cutting the carpal ligament to make more space for the nerves and tendons :speechless:
I think damnyank's had the op for it too.

how did they feel after it was all healed and everything.

I had cts a few years back. Got so bad I couldn't even hold a beer in my hand. I had it in both hands. Had surgery, no more problems. Worked great.

Yeah, not very painful, but very inconvenient. A tendon is cut to give the carpal nerve room. Later, scar tissue forms to take place of the tendon. Usually it grows leaving enough room for muscles and tendons, sometimes not. If not, surgery again.

eddieb said:
Yeah, not very painful, but very inconvenient. A tendon is cut to give the carpal nerve room. Later, scar tissue forms to take place of the tendon. Usually it grows leaving enough room for muscles and tendons, sometimes not. If not, surgery again.

Yeah, that's the risk you take. If it does not work the first time it can be worse than what you had originally. Then they go in again and slice 'n dice.

CTS - Been there , done that as Marge said!

After twisting rachets, screw drivers and wrenches for 20 plus years in the military and working an additional 10 years @ the Post Office, my CTS just got so bad I couldn't stand it any longer. It was not only a constant pain (actually the numbness got so bad it hurt), but I was losing sleep, dropping things, and could hardly do my job anymore.

I had the left one done and 6 weeks later had the right one done. In both cases the surgery was done out patient. Went in @ 7 AM, got prepped (about an hour), 15 minutes in surgery, an hour in recovery and arrived home by 10 AM. I had mine done with a block and I was awake for the entire deal. Had both surgeries on a Thursday, got to take the bulky bandage off on Saturday, stitches (8 each time) came out 10 days later. Worse pain was the night of the surgery - it reminded me of novacaine wearing off after having work done on your teeth. Told not to lift anything heavier than my hand for a week, then could gradually work my way up to lifting anything that didn't cause any pain to lift! By the end of the 6 weeks when I returned to work, I had no problems doing my job - except regaining "full endurance". My wrists would get tired more rapidly than before the surgery - took about 6 months to get the endurance back. Now bear in mind I am constantly handling letter mail in my job.

I can honestly say I have had excellent results from my surgeries. Anyone who asks me about how my CTS operations turned out - I tell them it's like having two new wrists/hands! No pain, no numbness and no regrets over having the surgery. The key factor in my recovery was following doc's orders. I was told to start exercise as soon as I got home (about 2 hours after surgery). Nothing major, just stretching and moving fingers. I did as I was told, regained range of movement and got the scar tissue loosened up and have had no problems. Others who had the surgery (quite prevelant in the Post Office) and did not follow doc's orders with the exercise have had more difficult times.

It's been three years since my surgeries and I am still doing just fine - no recurrence of any of the symptoms at all! I am still handling over 100,000 pieces of mail in an 8 hour shift pain free!

Proper diagnosis (nerve conduction tests) and alternate treatments (I wore braces to sleep for 3 months prior to deciding on suregry & had a cortosone shot (which did no good at all) prior to the braces) are important as not all cases are as severe as mine was and do not require surgery.

why oh why did I think this was a sight problem?

ah well - OSNN - teaches me something every day! Even in the green room now it seems!

celticfan11 said:
how did they feel after it was all healed and everything.
One of my mams palms swelled up where they cut and turned a horrible purple colour but the other was okay.
Only problem was she had to go back about a year later and have one redone cause it didn't work properly the first time :speechless:

interesting. I am sure i will be under the knife for it one day. I dont feel symptons or anything but im sure its only a matter of time. I try to stay active to avoid it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back