Car Question

JJH35

OSNN Addict
i got a quick question, i was curious, i have and older work truck they gave me to move stuff around in at work, its old and ****ty, sometimes it doesnt turn over right away, someone told me to push the gas while im turning the key, what does that actually do i thought it flooded it? or if anyone has some highly populated car forums i could ask this question on id appreciate it

Well, you usually do that when the vehicle is already "Flooded". This is based on the fact that you talking about a fuel injected vehicle, not carb'ed. By depressing the accelerator pedal (It is not called a gas pedal on fuel injected as because the pedal is hooked to your throttle butterflies, and the fuel is regulated by the injector. On carb'ed vehicles, the pedal is hooked uo to your gas, the more pedal you push, the more gas comes out.) you are actually opening up the butterflies to let in more air into the engine. More air leans out the fuel thats trapped in your combustion chambers, to the point that enough fuel will be left in the system for the right mixture to happen. Fuel is regulated to usually 42psi by the injector(s), it is also regulated by the engine management system on some cars. I gues it boils down to this: You are basically overpowering the fuel with air in an injected car. Is it hard starting because it is flooding? then you might look at the possibility of changing the injectors as because the injector regulator spring wears out, a little of the injector remains open a little and fuel drips into the chamber and "floods" it. You can usually tell this is the case as how easy it is to start when it is shut down for half hour, compared to how hard it is to start when it has been sitting overnight. Hope you understand this rather compressed explaination.

Heeter

it starts up fine, it just takes a few turns to get going, and i was under the impression that giving a vehicle gas when its tryin to turn over floods it and then would cause the thing to flood. BTW do you like your radeon 9600 pro?

It will flood if the other components are not up to snuf, like your plugs, ignition system, timing, injectors. If all the components on an injected system are up to snuf, then you can overcome the flooding situation by mashing the accelerator down to the floor and keeping it there during startup, all the while spinning the engine over until it fires. But there still a lot of factors that apply here as well. This tehcnique will not work on a carb'ed motor.

I did pickup my 9600Pro only a week ago, and the only game I have played is Max Payne, and Age of Mythology. I can literally see the difference compared to my old card. And the downloadable demo's from ATI are just beautiful and rich in color. An incredible jump from my Rage128Pro, which BTW, was not even able to play a couple of those demos. I am extremely happy about my choice. Thanks for asking.

Heeter

k, well i havent flooded the vehicle i just dont need to flood it and have to piss around, its a ****ty enough trcuk that gave me for work, i just bought my 9600 Pro, had to return and rebuy to get my 30dollars back, but thanx for the info about it

On an older vehicle, when you press the gas pedal down slowly an release it fast (jus once or twice) it closes the butterfly in the carb an so it engages the automatic choke an enriches the air/fuel mixture.

Then when you hit the pedal on-off fast (after its warmed up a bit) t it releases the automatic choke (opens the butterfly in the carb).

So depending on the make an model of the older vehicle in question, its usually better to hit the gas pedal rapidly jus 2 or 3X an then once (release) slowly.

In some circumstances hit the pedal a lot (but "medium" speed).Sometimes while your turning it over, sometimes before you start to turn it over.

Diff vehicles oft tend to have their own personality. You kinda hafta "experiment" a little sometimes.

A "medium" speed (not too fast,not too slow) pumping of the pedal is usually pretty good.

Originally posted by JJH35
i got a quick question, i was curious, i have and older work truck they gave me to move stuff around in at work, its old and ****ty, sometimes it doesnt turn over right away, someone told me to push the gas while im turning the key, what does that actually do i thought it flooded it? or if anyone has some highly populated car forums i could ask this question on id appreciate it

if it has a carb, your pouring gas into it, if its EFI, your not doing anything unless your cranking and and tap on the gas at the same time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back