Car MP3 CD player - good deal?

you have an ipod idiot, use it! and an fm transmitter, thats all you need, why spend more money

no no no my car's fm receiver is broken so i was gonna get a new receiver anyway so i might as well get a cd player too

why not just buy a cd receiver with Audio in ports in the back so you can hardwire your ipod directly into it. sound quality is tops and you would have more use for your ipod. They really aren't that expensive right now with audio in (rca in) so just get that.

Also add some money onto what the cost of the cd player is cause you have to buy new hook ups and cradles for the new receiver in the car. I have bought almost all of my receivers from circuit city and a lot of money gets added on to that "free installation"

stupid me I never took the time to learn how to install it myself..

Also I don't know if they still do it but crutchfield.com or the catalog from them sends the hook ups and cradles for free with the receiver you buy. Like I said I don't know if they still do it but I would look into it.

Edit...crutchfield still sends the stuff for free with a receiver
» Extension kit -- when installed, the radio will protrude from the dash by 1".
» Free receiver installation gear will be included with your order.
» You'll get free lifetime tech support for as long as you own your gear!

i already bought one dude!! its cool, except its a kenwood and its from bestbuy. i'll just buy the FM transmitter for my ipod cuz i like wireless things these days!! yeah dude!!!!!! sorry i've been saying dude all day long and i don't know why!!

it's cool...you got me looking and I found a car stereo at best buy that is cheap and no frills but has a aux in on the front and I think I may get it for my ipod

so thanks for making me look.

I have an iTrip for my ipod and I'm in a big city so all the fm stations are taken which means I can't get good reception for my ipod so I'm looking for a wired connection for it.

so thank you! ;)

I've never been able to get particularly good sound quality with FM transmitters either (Los Angeles area...go figure).

As Tuffgong mentioned, we have audio inputs at the back of the Sony CD player in our car, so when I want to play mp3's, I just plug in the external mp3 CD player to the input. The whole system is connected to an Altec Lansing 2.1 set in addition to the regular car speakers, so the sound is awesome. :)

sweet setup net...I have some crazy sound freak friends...one has like a 9,000 dollar system in his car with one or two batteries dedicated to the system...I'm just looking for some no frills stereo so that I can actually get some use out of my ipod

Tuffgong4 said:
sweet setup net...I have some crazy sound freak friends...one has like a 9,000 dollar system in his car with one or two batteries dedicated to the system...
Haha, the setup I mentioned isn't anything spectacular, but it's good enough for a car...at least for me :)

I know what you mean though. I've met a few hardcore audiophiles myself...one of my dad's cousins happens to be one. He has a dedicated home theater room with about 15 interconnected devices. A single amplifier in there costs over ten grand. Could call it excessive, but man did that setup sound heavenly! :yowch:

ok are u sure ur transmitter doesn't work good there? i know its over crowded in big cities but i bet if you transmitted it on a unpopular radio station (idk like 89.1) or something then maybe it would work better??? btw i had a sony tape to CD player thing and i connected it to my ipod a few days ago and when u turned it loud it was fuzzy so bump thattt

Yeah, I've tried it at various different frequency channels. It works okay on some of them (as in, there's no interference), but you really can't beat the sound quality you get with a hard-wired connection. :)

well some frequencies work better than others where I'm at but if I drive from city to city which near chicago is every few blocks every single frequency comes and goes and I have to do a lot of station changing. Also cassette adapters are just as bad as fm frequencies cause when the heads get dirty the sound goes to garbage.

When I speak of hardwiring the mp3 player it's more for aux in ports on the back of the car stereo and not a cassette adapter or the like. The stereo I'm thinking of getting actually is really cheap and has a aux in (3.5mm) on the front of the deck.

yeah whent i went to circuitcityi i was actually trying to find the jenson mp3 player which had an aux in port but they weren't there so i went to bestbuy and stuck with a nice kenwood

NetRyder said:
Yeah, I've tried it at various different frequency channels. It works okay on some of them (as in, there's no interference), but you really can't beat the sound quality you get with a hard-wired connection. :)
i listened to my friends mini ipod in his bmw 745 and it almost sounded like a cd if not like a cd, you couldnt tell it was coming in from the radio

If your keen on the ipod idea look into some of the alpine head unit (much better than the JVC and only second to pioneer ones IMHO) for on the alpine units they dont just have aux in but ipod control so you can read the track and skip tracks etc all from the head unit directly (it uses the cd changer contol system)

Nah its like everything just depends on the model you want the start cheap and go up to very expensive

the alpine stereos you brought up w/ipod control are hideously expensive and if I had to guess like 350 hundred dollars or higher. and from what I read the controls are awful compared to just using the ipods

with the fm frequency it's all a matter of where you live for whether or not you will get a good reception...chicago, New York, LA, Atlanta, are probably not places where these things work very well

EDIT...demo of the alpine stereo with ipod support
http://www.alpine-usa.com/driveyouripod/ipod_demo.htm

ohh i thought they would be like 1000 dollars, i dont consider 350 too much for a deck, the pioneer ones here that have the organics are about that price. i just always thought since apline is supposed to be the best (all rappers and singers refer to alpine systems)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back