Capacitors Blew!?!

Quartersndimes

Complete Genius. . .
My capacitors apparently blew when I was (stupidly) adding a PCI card to my computer. Only 2 blew, both with the same Info on them: JackCon 1500mF 6.3v -40+105C. That is what is on the stickers. Can I just buy new ones and go on? Or is the mobo toast? It has served me well; I don't want to lose it. It handled everything I have thrown at it. But, if it is not fixable, I am willing to buy another one. Just a little P3, but I love it. Here is part of the DXDIAG if it helps:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/30/2008, 09:08:00
Machine name: ARKANGEL-997241
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.050329-1536)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ABIT
System Model: 6A69RA1H
BIOS: BIOS Rev:0.1
Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~660MHz
Memory: 384MB RAM
Page File: 166MB used, 755MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thatz it. Help, anyone?

Definately fixable, here's a good place to start...
http://www.badcaps.net/
They have a forum on there as well. Many people fix LCDs and mobos all the time. Good luck and post how it goes! :)

Thank you so much!!! It actually just broke yesterday. I am really greatful. oh, and I looked at the site. Looks kinda old. He said "here in 2007 I still see. . ." Have you used this site latley?

Last edited:
Radio Shack should have some 1500 ufd, 6.3V cap's If not Frye's if you have one near you. If not digikey supplies to the hobbiest. They should only be a couple bucks. Make sure you get ones marked for "computer use" there are many different types with the same ratings meant for different jobs.

Notes:
1) There is a line with a - (minus sign) on the cap's. Make sure the new ones are installed with the lead wire marked with the - going into the correct whole in the MB. If not the new ones will blow also.

2) If you have never soldered before a MB is not the place to start. Get someone who is skilled to do the install. If you have soldered before be aware that one or both sides of the capacitors may have a large amount of circuit metal which means it will take extra heat to remove the old wire. It is very easy to damage MB pads so be carefull on the removal and reinstall.

Good luck.

Thanks alot, guys this will really help me. I have been looking around, and I have not found any for my mobo. Again, thanks.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back