Cantenna gets 6 times wireless speed, connects from a mile away

Petros

Thief IV
My home theater PC was great, but there was one problem: no way to get the network to it outside of wireless. The other problem I had was that the wireless was on the opposite side of the house. No problem, wireless N should get me the speed and signal I need, right?

After playing with it a while, I found that the fastest speed I could get was around 1.8 MB/sec, not even fast enough to watch a blu-ray rip over the network.

I read a guide online about making your own cantenna, and probably could do it, but didn't want to go to the effort and also risk screwing it up. I found an ebay seller that specializes in making them. He also encases them in PVC pipe, provides a 10 foot SMA cable, and supplies a tripod for $53 shipped (at the time I purchased it, anyway).

Just got it last night and it is GREAT. My wireless speed is now over 10 MB/sec (from the opposite end of the house, remember!), so I can finally watch blu-ray rips and copy files between computers on the network with a reasonable amount of speed.

Most people (including the seller and independent reviewers) say they can connect from a mile away with it, and I am pretty sure they're right. In case anyone wants to get one, this is the seller I bought from:
eBay Store - Bilco's Wireless Extenders: Cantenna, USB Cantenna 15ftCable Tripod, Cantenna 15ftCable Tripod

taking a look now, great info

I need to email a question to him but can't find his email address, do you have that?

My home theater PC was great, but there was one problem: no way to get the network to it outside of wireless. The other problem I had was that the wireless was on the opposite side of the house. No problem, wireless N should get me the speed and signal I need, right?

After playing with it a while, I found that the fastest speed I could get was around 1.8 MB/sec, not even fast enough to watch a blu-ray rip over the network.

I read a guide online about making your own cantenna, and probably could do it, but didn't want to go to the effort and also risk screwing it up. I found an ebay seller that specializes in making them. He also encases them in PVC pipe, provides a 10 foot SMA cable, and supplies a tripod for $53 shipped (at the time I purchased it, anyway).

Just got it last night and it is GREAT. My wireless speed is now over 10 MB/sec (from the opposite end of the house, remember!), so I can finally watch blu-ray rips and copy files between computers on the network with a reasonable amount of speed.

Most people (including the seller and independent reviewers) say they can connect from a mile away with it, and I am pretty sure they're right. In case anyone wants to get one, this is the seller I bought from:
eBay Store - Bilco's Wireless Extenders: Cantenna, USB Cantenna 15ftCable Tripod, Cantenna 15ftCable Tripod
just ordered this, thanx for your review, I wouldn't have even thought about ordering this if I hadn't heard someone who said ti worked as or close to advertised

thanx again

just ordered this, thanx for your review, I wouldn't have even thought about ordering this if I hadn't heard someone who said ti worked as or close to advertised

thanx again

Awesome! Let me know how it goes. I'm thrilled with being able to stream 1080p and 6-channel DTS audio right over the airwaves!

I've got a crushed cantenna sitting in a box somewhere, I made one not to long ago when I went war driving!

petros, my antenae landed yesterday, got it hooked up today, did yours come with a tri-pod?

I thought it would since that's featured in the picture, mine came without

even without the tripod it's very nice and quite a value, you get a wireless card as well as the antenae

I sent an email off asking about the tri pod, otherwise very happy

It looks to me that they all have the same photo (with the tripod) but the descriptions are different.

The cheapest one is just the cantenna for $19.99. The next cheapest one comes with a three foot cable and the tripod for $34.99. There's then one for $39.99 with a ten foot cable and tripod. And the most expensive is a USB model with 15 foot cable and tripod for $64.99. Which one did you get?

It looks to me that they all have the same photo (with the tripod) but the descriptions are different.

The cheapest one is just the cantenna for $19.99. The next cheapest one comes with a three foot cable and the tripod for $34.99. There's then one for $39.99 with a ten foot cable and tripod. And the most expensive is a USB model with 15 foot cable and tripod for $64.99. Which one did you get?
mine was 64 bucks plus shipping, really shouldn't have gotten such a long cord but I did want the usb network adapter, no use for it and it gets in the way

petros, my antenae landed yesterday, got it hooked up today, did yours come with a tri-pod?

I thought it would since that's featured in the picture, mine came without

even without the tripod it's very nice and quite a value, you get a wireless card as well as the antenae

I sent an email off asking about the tri pod, otherwise very happy

Wireless A,B,G,N Cantenna with 15ft Cable/Tripod - eBay (item 270308625740 end time Nov-20-09 17:42:29 PST)

This is what I bought that comes with the whole package. He pictures tripods in each one, but some listings say that tripod is not included (something along the lines of "This listing is only for the cantenna").

I didn't get the one with the USB adapter, though. I just hooked it up after unscrewing an antenna on my HTPC adapter. Loving this speed, too. I still have yet to do any stationary war"driving" from my living room.

If he sells a dozen, maybe 15 of these a week at $60-$70 a pop, maybe $35 profit after materials and shipping, that would be a pretty good side job. Maybe I should break into this market.

Last edited:
I guess you did not know but you can buy these at places like Wal-Mart, J&R, Fry's and they come with the tripod.

Here is one at Fry's.

Just got it last night and it is GREAT. My wireless speed is now over 10 MB/sec

Megabytes or megabits per second?

You typed MB which would be megabytes.

You typed MB which would be megabytes.
I sure did! I'm getting about 80Mbits/sec over the air.

That was the first one I considered before checking ebay. They get great signal, but I like the guy on ebay's design...he encases them in PVC pipe so you can't bend them easily and seals the ends so they're watertight. I am sure my cats or dog (or I, myself!) would find a way to ruin anything flimsier.

Last edited:
If he sells a dozen, maybe 15 of these a week at $60-$70 a pop, maybe $35 profit after materials and shipping, that would be a pretty good side job. Maybe I should break into this market.

I was thiking the same petros, I think it's a good idea

he sent the tripod out yesterday and apologized for the oversight

Last edited by a moderator:
well, the tripod wasn't even worth the aggrivation of writing to get it;

the screw didn't fit the tapped hole so I had to self tap it, then the weight of the antenae sheared the leg, it is literally made out of metal about as strong as tripple foulded tin foil, that's not an exageration

I'm not going to try to get another, just saying if you'rs comes without the tri pod forget it and go get one from best buy for the few bucks it's gonna cost

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back