Can't use Software Update . . .

I

inaminit

Hope you guys can help me with this. I have Direcway satellite internet. Their modem is connected to my Belkin router which has an iMac G5 running Tiger 10.4.3 and an AMD machine running WinXp.

The problem is with the iMac. I can surf the net ok, but downloads of more than about 50 megs tend to end prematurely for some reason. A few web pages get a lot of errors and won't download all the way. But what really bugs me is that Tiger's Software update won't connect to Apple. I keep getting a bad server response message that offers two buttons. One to quit, and the other to run Network Diagnostics. When I do run network diagnostics it tells me that there is nothing wrong with my network connection. I'll attatch a grab of the dialog. Does anyone know whats going on with this? Direcway hasn't been able to help me with this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 184
Well after serching for some days I thought I'd share the answer with you folks. Found it on Apple's Forums:

Jonathan,

The -1011 error occurs with the Direcway modem when running Software Update, usually after a successful first time through.

We've discovered that the -1011 error occurs when running software update whenever a cache file is contained in user/yourname/Library/Caches/com.apple.softwareupdate/00/14.

If folder 14 is empty or doesn't exist (because you trash it), software update runs all the way through without a hitch. If a cache file is contained in folder 14, the -1011 error occurs the next time software update is run. 10.4 will eventually replace all cache files and folders in com.apple.softwareupdate, including folder 14, after you delete them so the -1011 error will eventually reoccur and the folder will need to be deleted again manually.

A workaround is to empty any cache file inside folder 14 and lock the folder - (highlight 14, get info, check locked). That way, no cache file can be written to that folder by the operating system and software update can be run continually from that point on without ever returning an -1011 error.

Obviously, there is a conflict between software update and the cache file the OS puts in 14. Hopefully that will be corrected in a future update. It's been reported to Apple. Good luck.

Randall

And it's working so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back