cant update through windowsupdate.com

dubstar

format c:
whenever i go there the website says it will scan for 3-5 minutes, used to take about 13 seconds but now it doesnt scan. i've had to manually download the updates..

exactly what i do...

open IE. goto WindowsUpdate shortcut (built into IE)

i get stuck on this page, "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software..."

i get a settings, admin option, help and support, and finally FAQ options, the other 2 (view install history, and restore hidden updates) are greyed out. so is "install updates"

anything i can do?

i did install SP2, didnt like it so i uninstalled all except for 1 windows SP2 file i couldnt get because it didnt have uninstall option. - KB810243 is the one i couldnt get rid of.

help please. thanks guys

didnt seem to work. it just asked me if i trusted microsoft (which it hasnt asked in a long time because i checked "always trust microsoft, do not ask me again" or whatever the button says and then returned me to the page i have become familiar with.

thanks for you help though, i'll try downloading SP2 again and finding a new way to uninstall it.

dubstar said:
didnt seem to work. it just asked me if i trusted microsoft (which it hasnt asked in a long time because i checked "always trust microsoft, do not ask me again" or whatever the button says and then returned me to the page i have become familiar with.

thanks for you help though, i'll try downloading SP2 again and finding a new way to uninstall it.
Does your firewall block "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" by any chance ?
I do block it, but I unblock it to go to WU, and block it again afterwards.

check your hosts file to see if u have it blocked, some new viruses put many antivirus sites and windows update site in the hosts file

Howling Wolf said:
Does your firewall block "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" by any chance ?
I do block it, but I unblock it to go to WU, and block it again afterwards.

no firewall up.

themafia_69 said:
check your hosts file to see if u have it blocked, some new viruses put many antivirus sites and windows update site in the hosts file

what do you mean 'host file'

go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc ull find some files in there open the hosts file in notepad and see what sites are in there, anything in there is being blocked and will never open unless u remove it, so its a good place to stick advertisment site addresses, u can search for an "updated hosts" file on google, make sure that no microsoft sites are in there maybe thats whats holding u back, there are some nasty viruses that chagne the hosts file, i saw it as i was cleaning up my friends laptop, wanted to block every single antivirus site, and microsoft update site

themafia_69 said:
go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc ull find some files in there open the hosts file in notepad and see what sites are in there, anything in there is being blocked and will never open unless u remove it, so its a good place to stick advertisment site addresses, u can search for an "updated hosts" file on google, make sure that no microsoft sites are in there maybe thats whats holding u back, there are some nasty viruses that chagne the hosts file, i saw it as i was cleaning up my friends laptop, wanted to block every single antivirus site, and microsoft update site

all my host file had was local host

this sucks! thanks for all your help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back