Cant set up a peer to peer network

prinsipe

Not Too eXPerienced
I have 2 computers at home and wanted to make a peer to peer network but i havent suceeded in doing so.

-have run the network wizard
-have created workgroup for the 2 computers
-have shared some folders
-have configured IP address (tried automatic stil nothing)
-tried to search for computers in the "my network places"

i think the hardwares are doing fine coz when i specify the same IP Adress for both computers it says that there is a conflict meaning the other comp knows that another comp is using the same IP Address.

what i dont understand is that why the two computers dont "see" each other and cant commnunicate.

Im in need of immediate help, any help extended to me will be well appreciated, thank you in advance.

FYI:

-im using Norton internet security 2004 pro (could be the culprit but think not coz i turned it off)
-im using d-link ethernet adapters.

are they on the same subnet (as asked above) (I would suspect they are as they can tell when the ip address is the same)
are they in the same workgroup
if you type in say
//FIRSTCOMPUTERNAME/
into the explorer address bar on the second computer can you see the shared folders?

cpugeniusmv said:
can you ping the other computer?

are they on the same subnet mask?

i cant ping the other computer

yes, they on the same subnet mask

Geffy said:
are they on the same subnet (as asked above) (I would suspect they are as they can tell when the ip address is the same)
are they in the same workgroup
if you type in say
//FIRSTCOMPUTERNAME/
into the explorer address bar on the second computer can you see the shared folders?

yes they are in the same workgroup.

say im using computer1, and search for myself i can easily find it, but when i go under the workgroup, computer1 isnt there, same with computer2, but when i search computer2 from computer1 and vice-versa there are no results.

havent experiened this b4, what really bugging me is that when they have same IP Address it can tell that there is a conflict meaning they are communicating but why cant i find the other comp when the IP's are different?

which two IP addresses are you using?

is this going through a hub or router at any point, are you using direct or crossover cables

Geffy said:
which two IP addresses are you using?

is this going through a hub or router at any point, are you using direct or crossover cables

a hub is placed between the two computers which are connected with cables using RJ45.

computer1--------cable--------hub--------cable--------computer2

Ok, each computer must have a different IP address (use 192.168.1.x where x is a unique number). Ping the other computer to see if they can communicate. I can't really rememeber but you may need to setup a share to try the //computername method.

Admiral Michael said:
I can't really rememeber but you may need to setup a share to try the //computername method.
With Xp there are I believe two defaultly shared items

#1 get rid of norton internet security. nortorn is awesome in antivirus, but it doesnt mean they are good at everything else, in fact that program ranks with some of the worst

next, if you are running xp, make sure your xp firewalls are not enabled.
make sure the subnet mask is the same, defaults to 255.255.255.0 i believe

try connecting the computers directly together via a crossover cable, i myself had a hub die and function improperly.

they dont need to be on the same workgroup, but it helps.

set the ip addresses to what Admiral Michael stated, where only the last number is unique between the two.

make sure you have filesharing enabled,

if running xp, or 2k, you need to make sure that you have the user accounts for each unique user id set up on each computer. it helps to just have the same administrator password for each of them.

after you have those set up, you should be able to view the entire network, select your workgroup name, and then you should be able to see the other computer. upon trying to gain access to the other computer, it may prompt you for a password, that is where having both admin passwords the same, type in administrator for the username, and your password in the password field, it helps to save the login information, and then click ok

<----------------did any of this help? click the reputation icon to the right

I finally got it to work but not until I uninstalled NAV 2004 and NIS 2004, if someone can guide me with proper configuration of both NAV and NIS so as not to prevent the "communication" then I think that would be the end of my misery!

Thanks people for the help, hope you can provide me with the config Im asking, thanks again in advance...............

Im not sure why NAV 2004 would give you problems. I use 2003 and have no idea of the extras of 2004.

I think I have figured it out, I'll drop by if its successful.........

Sorry if this is obvious ...... but have you installed "Netbui" via the XP CD disc as necessary, in the Network Properties of main PC with "file sharing option " etc?
Also look at "TCP/IP /wins/netbios setting in LAN properties of second remote PC.....possibly enable "Net bios over TCP IP" ....as my setting is .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back