Cant see My server. Server cant see me.

Ok i run a Win2k3 server fully updated. I was running a pop3 role with it as well as running it as a file server. I was playing around with the VPN function in it and broke it. So i had physically gfet on the server and remove that function. But now my computer cant see it and it cant see my computer.

Its part of the workgroup i run but it wont show up on my rig and the rig wont show up on it.

I dropped the workgroup then re joined on the server and no luck.

I removed the file server role and then re added it on the server no luck.

Im tired and annoyed any ideas guys?

Man im really out of ideas. I can see my laptop fine from My main machine. And cant see the Rig or the laptop from the server..

What the hell did i break i removed what i was doing with the VPN stuff. What
I disabled the firewall and re-enabled it as well no luck.

I guess i will wait to see what you guys think.. im out of ideas but i need the file server so i might have to recore it tomorrow.. Ug.

Im going to bed now. Super Repp if anyone wants to add input be back in 8 hours or so hehe.

have you disabled services that you might need?

worksation, application layer, backround inteligent etc,

set the services to default, I forgot how to do that but there's a gui that just send it to default somewhere

Not sure where that option is. Iv been digging around alot havent run across it. Anyone else know where it is?

can't find it, so if you must do it manually;

xp said:
Default settings for servicesIf you have a typical installation, many services are configured as "automatic" (that is, they start automatically when the system starts or when the service is called for the first time). If a service is configured as "manual," you must start the service manually before it can be loaded by the operating system and made available for use. If a service is configured as "disabled," it cannot be started automatically or manually. For more information about configuring service startup, see To configure how a service is started. For more information about starting a service from the command line, see Net start.

The following table lists the default services for a typical installation of Windows XP Professional, along with their default startup settings. Your list of services might be different, depending on the components selected during installation and any additional programs that have been installed.

Service Startup Type Log On As Additional information
Alerter Manual Local Service
Application Layer Gateway Manual Local Service
Application Management Manual Local System
Automatic Updates Automatic Local System
Background Intelligent Transfer Service Manual Network Service For information about troubleshooting problems associated with this service, see Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) inactive job timeout.
ClipBook Manual Local System
COM+ Event System Manual Local System
COM+ System Application Manual Local System
Computer Browser Automatic Local System
Cryptographic Services Automatic Local System
DHCP Client Automatic Local System
Distributed Link Tracking Client Automatic Local System
Distributed Transaction Coordinator Manual Network Service
DNS Client Automatic Network Service
Error Reporting Automatic Local System
Event Log Automatic Local System
Fast User Switching Compatibility Manual Local System
Help and Support Automatic Local System
Human Interface Device Access Disabled Local System
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Manual Local System
Indexing Service Manual Local System You can use Indexing Service to index documents and document properties on your disks and store the information in a catalog. For more information, see Indexing Service.
Internet Connection Sharing Manual Local System
IPSec Services Automatic Local System
Logical Disk Manager Automatic Local System
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service Manual Local System
Messenger Automatic Local Service This service must be running for alert notifications to be received. For more information about performance, see Introduction to Performance. This service must be running on recipient computers so that those computers can receive console messages. For more information about console messages, see Send Console Message.
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Manual Local System
Net Logon Automatic Local System
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing Manual Local System
Network Connections Manual Local System
Network DDE Manual Local System
Network DDE DSDM Manual Local System
Network Location Awareness (NLA) Manual Local System
NT LM Security Support Provider Manual Local System
Performance Logs and Alerts Manual Network Service
Plug and Play Automatic Local System
Portable media serial number Automatic Local System
Print Spooler Automatic Local System If you are having trouble with a printer not responding, you can try restarting this service. This cancels all pending print jobs.
Protected Storage Automatic Local System
QoS RSVP Manual Local System
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Manual Local System
Remote Access Connection Manager Manual Local System
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Manual Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Automatic Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator Manual Network Service
Remote Registry Automatic Local Service For troubleshooting performance problems relating to this service, see Troubleshooting.
Removable Storage Manual Local System
Routing and Remote Access Manual Local System
Secondary Logon Automatic Local System For more information about the Secondary Logon service, see To start the Secondary Logon service.
Security Accounts Manager Automatic Local System
Server Automatic Local System Stopping this service disconnects any open sessions with a remote computer.
Shell Hardware Detection Automatic Local System
Smart Card Manual Local Service
Smart Card Helper Manual Local Service
SSDP Discovery Manual Local Service
System Event Notification Automatic Local System
System Restore Service Automatic Local System
Task Scheduler Automatic Local System
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Automatic Local Service
Telephony Manual Local System
Telnet Manual Local System
Terminal Services Manual Local System
Themes Automatic Local System
Uninterruptable Power Supply Manual Local Service
UPnP Device Host Manual Local System
Upload Manager Automatic Local System
Utility Manager Manual Local System
Volume Shadow Copy Manual Local System
WebClient Automatic Local Service
Windows Audio Automatic Local System
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing Automatic Local System
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Manual Local System
Windows Installer Manual Local System
Windows Management Instrumentation Automatic Local System
Windows Time Automatic Local System
Wireless Zero Configuration service Automatic Local System
WMI Performance Adapter Manual Local System
Workstation Automatic Local System

Yah im playing with one setting it could. Started the service up and rebooting... Im tired of dealing wiht this im hopeing its it.

The thing i tried didnt work. Im falling asleep at the keyboard here so im going to go to bed. when im thinking clearer i will work on this more. Thanks Perris for the help and anyone that can give me more ideas it would be apreciated.

I suppose you aren't running any real time imaging software on the server?...daily, something like that

why not?

/slap side the head

theres nothing like a mac bridge in your network connections is there

have you checked the ip addresses of both? in the same range? same netmask?

Geffy- Yah i checked same. TCP/Ip on both seem to be doing ok. Only symptom i have is that they cant see each other.

Perris- I should but i havent. The real slap should go to the fact that i dont have the 120 gig main drive partitioned slmaller for the OS so i have 90 gigs of data im gona need to move. hehe thats were the real slap should come from.

Any other ideas guys? I just woke up so im thiking better.

Iv started transfering data not the end of the world to have to recore it its been a whiler and having to reconfigure it while being a pain in the arse does refresh my memory.

Last edited:
Can the PC's ping each other? What OS are these PC's running XP Home or Pro along with 2k3? Do you have username/passwords on all of these PCs? Is there a domain involved since you are running a server?

Yah i pinged both the ips forom each machine allready. doesnt drop any packets and full connection.

all PCs are running winXP pro fully updated except the server thats running windows server 2003 full updated.

Usernames and passwords on all PC's

No domain involved.

This is a home server havent been bored enough to set up a domain for it hehe.

Any ideas?

Can you browse the PC's by IP address or by UNC name?

What error do you get when you try to connect to them?

its not there. Its acting like it isnt in the same workgroup. Im dealing primarily with file sharing and i just cant see the computer in the workgroup or go directly to the share via run.

Does it say not accessible or not authorized? Are your usernames/passwords the same on all of the PC's?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back