can't open hotmail!!

dadecamp

under worked, over paid
After installing SP2 on a friends computer he cannot open any hotmail mails. Any ideas why?

sounds a bit odd. do you mean via the hotmail web interface ?

sounds weird umm... try looking the internet options to see if it is blocking it, delete all cookies and temp files.... and try redoing it

What happens when he tries to log in? Does it just ask for a username and password and after he enters that it just sits at a blank screen?

I'll get the details in a couple hours and then post. Thanks

Ok, here's the details. He can log on to hotmail and see the email program just fine. He can change folders as well but if he attempts to open any email it does nothing. In the browsers status bar it will then show "error on page".
Is this a security setting in xp sp2?

I don't use hotmail but it's not trying to do a popup and IE is blocking it is it?

What browser are you using? I have no probs w/ IE, but I was getting errors w/ firefox. Forgot what I did to fix it tho...

He is using IE. He doesn't have anything other that XP SP2 and office XP. He uses outlook too but doesn't have any problems with it.
SP2 has a pop-up blocker but it would show it in the pop-up bar. This error is shown in the status bar on the lower left.

Hotmail is now configured to use javascript pop-up windows to display email messagess (don't ask, it's so f*ing dumb, you can't even shift-click to open in a new window) so make sure his popup blockers are all disabled (google, zone alarm, whatever).

Also, if he's using zone alarm tell him to disable cookie control as well as ad blocking.

Have you tried using a different web browser? I would use Firefox to test it :) your friend should be using it anyways

Before I go installing other browsers, why did this just start happening after SP2 install?

I haven't had any problems with hotmail after installing SP2 so I suspect that something else is causing the problem.

I remember having this problem with a mate's comp... was pre-SP2... so unlikely to have any link to SP2.

Think I took the bulldozer approach to it though.. and restored from a ghost... he had a few other probs on his comp... adware and stuff.

You might want to check for some of that stuff... they do nasty things to a newly formatted PC :(

MdSalih

I had just done the "bulldozer" approach because he had problems with his sound. I had built this pc for him back in June and he was not able to use any sound devices and I could not get it to work for nothing!!! So, when SP2 came out I slipstreamed a XP-SP2 copy and did a "repair" install. His sound worked fine after the repair but he then couldn't open and hotmail email. He has not downloaded firefox yet so I don't know if that will work. I'll let you know.

Regarding your question: "What happens when he tries to log in? Does it just ask for a username and password and after he enters that it just sits at a blank screen?"

This is exactly what my hotmail is doing.....how do I fix it?
Thanks!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back