can't ftp

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
I'm behind a dlink di-624 rev C router and windows SP2 firewall...have tried all I can to get the ftp to work but I keep doing something wrong...

please help if you

and forwarding the passive range of ports to your ftp server? Does your ISP allow FTP servers?

Tuffgong4 said:
I'm behind a dlink di-624 rev C router and windows SP2 firewall...have tried all I can to get the ftp to work but I keep doing something wrong...

please help if you
whats the error you get when trying to connect to a site?? and do you have the SP2 firewall enabled and are you allowing ftp to pass thru?? also what ftp program are you using??

A little more info would be more helpful.

ok I have no idea what passive mode is...what I'm trying to do is get to access my webhosting provider through ftp...I am a comcast subscriber and my webhost is 1and1

I am using Filezilla 2.2.8a and the error I get is
Error: Timeout detected!
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing

if more info is needed I can provide...I have also followed my routers instructions to ftp and enabling it through the firewall in the router

Tuffgong4 said:
ok I have no idea what passive mode is...what I'm trying to do is get to access my webhosting provider through ftp...I am a comcast subscriber and my webhost is 1and1

I am using Filezilla 2.2.8a and the error I get is
Error: Timeout detected!
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing

if more info is needed I can provide...I have also followed my routers instructions to ftp and enabling it through the firewall in the router
2 things... 1 either you do not have the port forward going to the correct machine IP and/or 2 you may want to turn off PASV mode. If you dont know what the is check out the help file in Filezilla. I am not familiar with that program.

I assume you've created a profile for your FTP account in FileZilla's site manager. To enable passive mode:

File>Site Manager
Select the FTP account
Click the "Advanced" button
Check the "Use passive mode" box

If that doesn't work, try using SFTP. I've found that it works without a problem with 1and1's servers, and it's more secure than using regular FTP. To do that, go back to the Site Manager window, select the FTP account, and change the server type to "SFTP using SSH2"

Hope that works.
smile.gif

ok I checked the set up of the router and I have the correct ip set up for it...I went into the settings of filezilla and set it up for only 2 ports (the same as my router) and enabled passive mode and it went through with no problems...thanks to all I appreciate the help

ha...I can't give you anymore rep points netryder...you must have helped me with something else recently!

Tuffgong4 said:
ha...I can't give you anymore rep points netryder...you must have helped me with something else recently!
Don't worry about it.
wink.gif

Just a heads up: after a lot of frustrations with 1and1, I have learned that 1) you must use passive mode and 2) give a large number for time between retries and max out the number of retries.

Tuffgong4 said:
ok I checked the set up of the router and I have the correct ip set up for it...I went into the settings of filezilla and set it up for only 2 ports (the same as my router) and enabled passive mode and it went through with no problems...thanks to all I appreciate the help
If you only forwarded two ports for passive mode the server can only handle two connections at one time (which in practise means one client since many clients use one connection for listing and one for file transfer).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back