Can't enter CMOS/Keyboard not working before OS boot

Lukas

Real Name No Gimmicks
Hi all,

Weird problem; since this afternoon I cannot access my BIOS, BIOS boot device selection, keyboard is unresponsive before Vista boots.

I use F11 to select a boot device, as one HD boots to Vista and a second one has XP on it. That way I don't use the MS bootloader... I use XP for gaming (because of non-existant support for SLI on nvidia's 7000-series) and Vista for general use. SATA HD for Vista is set as first boot device in BIOS, and now it's the only OS I can boot. I played GRAW this morning, so I know everything worked few hours ago. I did not touch BIOS settings, I didn't install any new hardware or software either.

I also noticed that Windows boot menu (F8) doesn't respond to the keyboard either. I was trying to get into BIOS and resetted the pc while booting vista, so on next boot I got the 'safe mode'-menu; keyboard didn't work, however I'm using the very same keyboard now.

I tried so far:
*unplugging all the USB devices (as my keyboard is a wireless USB keyboard from Logitech)
* unplugging everything except the keyboard and the screen
* using an old PS/2 keyboard with all USB devices unplugged
* shutting down, disconnecting the cable and switching the computer off with the switch on the back and waiting for 5 minutes

Is there a way to fix this without clearing the CMOS? Pc is overclocked and runs fine, but don't rememeber the exact settings for PCI-e and CPU anymore. So clearing the CMOS means: a lot of work afterwards...

thnx

L.

You might have to enable USB legacy support or something along those lines.

Best thing is to grab a ps/2 keyboard to get in and THEN work through the bios and select the right options. Otherwise you are SOL.

---

edit

---

Noticed you said you used a ps/2 keyboard too. What issues were you getting with it?

I would have though it would have worked.

My thought exactly, PS/2 should work, but it doesnt. My pc beeps for every recognized USB device (like a memstick, keyboard, mouse) and the beeps did not change, so it is recognizing USB keyboard (can't see because of the bootlogo, and cant switch to normal 'boot view' because TAB key doesn't work, and DEl key doesn't work). Both keyboars, regardless USB / PS/2 / USB on PS/2 adapter, are dead before Vista boots into the GUI.

However, it worked this morning, coz I played games on the XP hd. I work in IT, and usually when an user is telling me that 'it just stopped working' and 'I did not chnage anything' I think 'yeah... right' but....

I did not change anything and it just stopped working. :S

Which keyboard/bios revision do you have?

A cmos reset SHOULD help I think... have you tried going back into BIOS since the last edits you did to your system?

Oc'ing isn't really that complicated and as long as you know what you are doing, it should be fine. Sounds like it's teh most feaisble option for you if all else fails.

Both keyboards are Logitech, one is an old PS/2 keyboard, and the newer one is a wireless one.

The thing is that I often (daily bases) use F11 to select the XP-HD to play some games, so I know the keyboard worked this morning. If I can access the boot device selection using F11, I can't imagine why the DEL key wouldn't work.

System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7250
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, 2492 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 080014, 03/07/06
SMBIOS Version 2.4

(BIOS flashed performed end last year, so I imagine it's the newest BIOS.)

Try a different ps/2 keyboard i bet something went south with the one you have.

Yeah, I'll do that, but the weird thing is both keyboards work in the GUI... Never seen anything like it.

Thnx.

L.

Ok, I tried another PS/2 keyboard, no luck, still not working.
I'll have to reset the CMOS... So one last question; is there a program that runs under Vista which I can use to read out my BIOS settings? FSB, voltages, PCI-e bus frequency, you know, the workx. I know nVidia's nTune can do that, but I don't think it runs on Vista, does it?

Thnx guys.

L.

Resetting CMOS did not help. Flashed BIOS to latest version, and all seems to be ok, can enter BIOS using my USB wireless keyboard, and the boot device selection also works.

Thnx for your help.

L.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back