Can't drag and drop in messenger 7

Swi

gningnegneur
Hi folks, I've upgraded my MSN messenger from 6 to 7 about a week ago, but since 2 days, I just can't drag and drop files into a conversation window like I was able to do before (with version 6 and for a short time with version 7).
When I drag the file over the window, I just get a "not" sign (circle crossed by a line). I get this sign wherever I slide the file over (writing box, message box, menu...) but I still can send a file using the menus.

Any ideas?

Thx

Swi said:
[...] (writing box, message box, menu...) but I still can send a file using the menus.

Any ideas?

Thx

Admiral Michael said:
Drag the file into the area where you type.

Admiral Michael, please read carefully ;)

Swi, try backing up your message history done by MsnM Plus! if you have it installed and uninstall Msn 7, then reboot (no harm ;) ) and install Msn 7 again from fresh and see what happen... I've never updated Msn from 5 to 6 or 6 to 7, always have uninstalled them before and performed a fresh install; I've never had trouble this way...

I'll give it a try... By "updated" I meant uninstall/install but I'll try a clean uninstall (registries, files left, ...)

right click on takbar, then go to STARTMENU click CUSTOMIZE, go to ADVANCED tab, make sure there is a check mark next to ENABLE DRAG and DROPPING

XeoNoX said:
right click on takbar, then go to STARTMENU click CUSTOMIZE, go to ADVANCED tab, make sure there is a check mark next to ENABLE DRAG and DROPPING

Already done that before posting... Anyway a clean uninstall/reinstall did the trick so thx for the help!

By the way, on my job's laptop I'm using Gaim (we have an internal jabber server) and I'm also able to connect to my MSN account... I installed Gaim on my home computer and nothing works... It says something like wrong password (even it's the good one) Anyone got this problem?

Edit: DUHHHHH! It did it again!!!! It worked yesterday, it worked this morning, but tonight, it just doesn't accept dragged and dropped files! Come on Bill, I have a new baby... I have grand mothers to feed!

Last edited:
Just to give an update, The same problem occured the day after I did the reinstallation... I still don't know why, but at least I found that I can copy and paste a file into the writing area which is painless than using the menu...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back