Can't delete song

Tony W

OSNN One Post Wonder
i have a file i downloaded a while back and i was was cleaning my computer out and i tried to delete the file. and it doesn't show the delete command in the right click menu. it also does not show properties or anything else you would find in a right click menu of a song. it has a play command and the send to folder but none of it works.. it was supposed to be a song and it has the file type .mp3 so the play command brings up the media player but doesn't play. i highlighted the file and pressed delete on the keyboard and nothing happens i have tried dragging it to the recycle bin and nothing happens...
can anyone help me delete this file?

Wow, that sounds really odd. Not sure why that is happening, but there might be some solutions for you. Try using this utility or any other that does the same thing.

http://www.008soft.com/products/file-deleter.htm

Also, try selecting the file going <alt + enter> Thats the shortcut for properties. If that doesn't work then don't worry about it. If it does, check to see if any attributes are checked.

Have you tried deleting it in safemode?

Two possibilities:

1) It is a corrupted file with bad sector information saved about itself. In this case you may never be able to get rid of it. I have two like this. I have used safe mode, deleter utilities, etc. Nothing works, they are on there until I reformat.

2) The file is not really an MP3, but actually a virus or trojan masquerading as an MP3. Update your AV and run a scan. Also, use one of the free on line scanners to double check. If it turns out it is malware identify the type and get the specific deletion instructions.

I had one of those before, you can try through the command prompt. If that doesnt work try moving all contents from the folder (cept the file in question) and do a del *.* instead. If not try safe mode or the suggestion Aprox gave.

MoveOnBoot is free and will get rid of that file.
Copies, moves or deletes files and folders on the next system boot. The utility is very useful when the user needs to replace or delete files which are locked by other applications, loaded into the memory or just cannot be changed until next system boot.

Hijack this in the other tools menu there is a delete file on reboot .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back