Can't delete: File in use?

Blue Jack

OSNN Addict
I downloaded the bf2demo last night, and I had to use bittorrent. I didn't have BT installed so I grabbed the latest version (4.2?). Since the demo was the first thing I started downloading, the new BT version defaults to saving things on the desktop (pretty stupid idea IMHO), I didn't get a chance to change where I wanted the file to be saved. No save .torrent anywhere, just slapped it on the desktop. :mad:

So now I have this rogue file on my desktop that everytime I try to delete, it says file in use by another program or person. I disconnected all my network devices, uninstalled BT, rebooted in safemode with no networking, and tried to delete it, and I can't.

I've searched my threads, and I have no process that I can find that is associated with the exe. As far as I can tell, its not running anywhere. I've downloaded about every dll/process thread analizer that I could find and nothing will show it "working" anywhere.

How do I delete this file? Is there a Kill option hidden somewhere in XP Pro? I really want this file off my desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Very odd. Upon a reboot it should have let if nothing else. Perhaps try deleting it from the command line? Also the download to desktop is probably a default option, if you didn't change any settings before starting the download.

try booting from a startup disk and deleting it that from dos, that way is sure to be gone

Try removing it from Safe Mode with Command prompt. If there is a service associated with the file- BT you will have to run TASKKILL /F or kill.exe to kill the service associated with BT.

stop all processes except exporer, Then delete it that way ..

could be pointing to something in the registry? try using a reg cleaner to clean out the missing pinpoint. then try to delete.....worth a try...

this reg program works very well. safe

RegScrubXP 3.25
download link

also try cleaning out your temp files directory .. Get crap cleaner and use it ..

Hit crtl+alt+del and goto explorer and end the process. Then with taskmanager running goto File>Run... Then type in cmd. The in the new window type cd\, then type del <filedirectory\cont\here\<filename> then close that window and go back to the run and type in explorer. And there you have it. This happens to me all the time...I hate it. Lemme know if you need me to be more specific on something.

dreamliner77 said:
Try Delete FXP avail here: http://www.jrtwine.com/

I love you! :)

Sorry in my delay, I had to get floppies to try the start up disk, and install a floppy.... only to find out that my raid drivers would not install with the start up disk. I couldn't get to my drives. Or I think that was the problem....

But yes that FXP worked perfectly! Thank you all for the help.

While were on this topic, I was curious, is there a way to see what program is locking a file from rename/move/delete?

Blue Jack said:
I love you! :)

Sorry in my delay, I had to get floppies to try the start up disk, and install a floppy.... only to find out that my raid drivers would not install with the start up disk. I couldn't get to my drives. Or I think that was the problem....

But yes that FXP worked perfectly! Thank you all for the help.

Glad it helped. I had a similar problem a while back. Move on Reboot didn't work, along with most suggestions, but that did.

Interesting read. I went there and tried the PStools from there, and tried usingthe PSKill tool, but I couldn't quite get it to work. I should have tinkered with the PSTools some more.

Admiral, on that same site: http://www.sysinternals.com/ProcessesAndThreadsUtilities.html you can find some utilities. I tried PStools, and honestly, I needed to read the documentation a little better. From reading the blog I could have solved my problem with that tool.

Last edited:
Or get a knoppix disc and start the system like that and delete it.

\Documents and Settings\*YOUR ACCOUNT*\Desktop

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back