can't delete a folder

Gus K

NTFS abuser
I had installed WWWFileShare awhile back. For some reason I have the same named folder in My Documents and I can't delete it. I always get 'cannot read from source file or disk' when I try. Tried safe mode, no go and from the command prompt, even though it's listed I can't get into it. The folder always seems to have the current date and is 0 bytes. I ran chkdsk thinking it might help.

Any thoughts?

cpugeniusmv

Computer Genius
use the command prompt (with explorer not running just to be safe)...

To close explorer (the RIGHT way):

Start, Shutdown: Shift+Alt+Ctrl+Cancel

now, Task Manager, File, Run: cmd

NOW! :)

go to the root of your drive: cd \

next, type: dir /x

now you can cd your way through directories using the 8.3 filenames listed in dir /x

only use 8.3 filenames.

when you get to MYDOCU~1 you can delete the folder (be sure to use its 8.3 filename)

rd WWWFIL~1

don't ask me why it works. it's weird.

Gus K

NTFS abuser
Well you've lived up to your name :) . That did it. I think the key was using WWWFIL~1, which you so graciously provided.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ganster