can't create new system restore point

segamil

OSNN Addict
When I try to create a system restore point I get this message and I can't figure out what it means:

Could not create the scheduled task for the following reason:
The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with. (0x80041321)
Has anyone seen this because there's only two mentions on google and none point to any solutions. Any help would be welcome.

wow. You found an error nobody else has had :)

you should be proud of yourself :)

As to what it is, the MSDN docs suggest that a checksum mismatch has occured.

I recommend a repair install of windows initially followed by a clean install if this does not fix it.

That seems a bit drastic don't you think? What about using an earlier back up?

May not work but try this -

Turn System Restore Off (note - this will delete any current restore points)
Reboot
Turn System Restore On
Reboot (not really needed, but do it anyways!)

Try again?

Kcnychief,

I did exactly as you said, rebooted and turned system restore back on. Here's a screen of what I get:

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 154
I haven't installed anything new recently but I did use CCleaner to get rid of some junk. Otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary. System is clean (as far as I know) for virus and trojans and my OS is legit and paid for.

I do like having the system restore feature because it's saved my bacon a few times.

If I were to do a repair install, do you have any links you can send me that would show how to do it step by step? Thanks!

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 121
I did not think repair install was available for VISTA???

Thats' what I thought. What about a disk check where you compare the current installation against the install disk?

I'm trying to avoid having to do a clean install because outside of the sys restore not working, everything else seems to be working just fine.

I did not think repair install was available for VISTA???

I did my first full PC restore using Vista. Despite some long waits in between screens (wondering if I was going to screw up and have to start from scratch) the restored backup was successful. I now have full Vista functionality once again and able to create system restore points!

Thanks again to everyone at OSNN -- you guys are the best!

I haven't installed anything new recently but I did use CCleaner to get rid of some junk. Otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary.
Do you think the problem cropped up after you performed the cleanup?

CCleaner should be pretty benign (at least the temp file cleanup options), but I've honestly become pretty wary of most third-party cleanup/tweaking/optimization tools. The only app I use now is PerfectDisk, and both my Vista machines have had no real issues since Nov 2006 and Jan 2007 respectively.

Glad you were able to get things sorted out though. :)

Do you think the problem cropped up after you performed the cleanup?

CCleaner should be pretty benign (at least the temp file cleanup options), but I've honestly become pretty wary of most third-party cleanup/tweaking/optimization tools. The only app I use now is PerfectDisk, and both my Vista machines have had no real issues since Nov 2006 and Jan 2007 respectively.

Glad you were able to get things sorted out though. :)

Thanks NetRyder.
I'm beginning to feel the same way. I had a similar problem losing some functionality in XP after using a third party junk file cleaner a ways back. I remember I had to do a clean install just to get everything back the way it used to be.

My problem is sometimes not leaving well enough alone...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back