can't boot from disc

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
so, I'm trying to get to the recovery console in my dads pc and it won't boot from the disc, I can't bring up the bios screen, I've tried every f key on the keyboard

when I press f10 it brings up the hp native "restore to original settings" feature which I only want to use as a last resort

any ideas how to get to boot from the cd?

edit

it's the escape key on this hp

Last edited:

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
so, I'm trying to get to the recovery console in my dads pc and it won't boot from the disc, I can't bring up the bios screen, I've tried every f key on the keyboard

when I press f10 it brings up the hp native "restore to original settings" feature which I only want to use as a last resort

any ideas how to get to boot from the cd?

edit

it's the escape key on this hp
I'm using the recovery console now, doing a chkdsk and then I'll do a bootfix

if anyone has any other ideas before I reinstall his os, please to comment

my dad is getting an unmountable boot volume in case you need some backround

bush dogg

OSNN Senior Addict
Political User
Perris

If your dad has anything important on this system like an “address book” to keep in touch with friends “something important too him” I would back them up.

I would suspect the cable or Harddrive is going bad, If so this problem will come back within a few days or a month.

I’ve actually seen this happen on a large number of systems the past year “same thing at boot came back multiple times on these systems” 2 were the cable the others were the drive. After replacing the cable or drive the problem hasn't came back.

PS; Referring also to your other post on “unmountable boot device”

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
Perris

If your dad has anything important on this system like an “address book” to keep in touch with friends “something important too him” I would back them up.

I would suspect the cable or Harddrive is going bad, If so this problem will come back within a few days or a month.

I’ve actually seen this happen on a large number of systems the past year “same thing at boot came back multiple times on these systems” 2 were the cable the others were the drive. After replacing the cable or drive the problem hasn't came back.

PS; Referring also to your other post on “unmountable boot device”
good call

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut