Cant activate DMA-Mode for DVD

R

Richy

i cant activate the DMA for my DVD (Pioneer 105SZ), i set it in the control panel (sec.contro./slave : to "DMA if Available", but it shows alwys -> PIO !)

where is the problem ? without the dma - mode i cant look DVDs with right speed (0.9x of the DVD-speed)

thx

Go to Control Panel> System> 'hardware' tab> 'device manager' button> expand 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' branch. You need to know which channel (primary or secondary) your dvd player is on, right click on the appropriate channel> properties> 'advanced settings' tab. You can select 'DMA if available' there.

i did it like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but it looks like that : ->> DMA if available
->> PIO-Mode

i set it on DMA, but xp use the PIO - Mode !!!!!

whats the prob ???

I would have to guess your drive won't support DMA mode for some reason or other. Go to Pioneer and see if they have any firmware updates for it. If that doesn't fix it, try updating your m/b bios.

found a solution, but .... look urself

first my config was like that :
ide1 -> 1 HDisk UDMA 100 (dma-mode 5 in xp)
ide2 -> Master 1 HDisk UDMA 66 (dma-mode 4 in xp)
Slave 1 DVD UDMA 33 -> but in xp only pio-mode !!

now: ide1 -> Master HDISK UDMA 100
-> Slave DVD UDMA 33
ide2 -> single HDisk UDMA 66

but now xp shows for the dvd -> DMA-Mode 2 !!! an it works good for dvd-films, no breaks etc.

but why it doenst work on the sec.ide controller ???

hm, bullsh...

My guess is it's some kind of glitch with the chipset IDE drivers. Glad to hear you got it working.

yeap, i also think so ..... now i changed the ide-chanels , so i can use the fast drive as a single on ide2 for the better speed an the dvd as slave on ide1 ... and it works .... but its a little silly (i have the latest via chipset drivers ... what can i do)

mhm, dont know but if it works i do it like that.

gn8

VIA has had a bear of time just getting there drivers to work at all. Give them more time is all I can suggest, they're bound to accidently get it right one of these days.

here's a solution that worked well for me...

Originally posted in the M$ Newsgroups

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x

Last four digits are likely 0001, 0002. Under those keys you will find MasterIdDataChecksum, SlaveIdDataChecksum. Delete the value corresponding to your drive. It will make the OS to redetect the device DMA capabilities after reboot.

Here is the original post.

Hope this helps, it worked for me! Got DMA back :)

mavis

This worked for me also!

I had one drive that was PIO, and although it wasn't a problem i done the reg hack and now it DMA cool!

yes !!!!

it works, but now i dont have the tab "advanced options" for the sec.chan. ......
(until i update the drivers next time, i think)

I know this is a bit late...

Check you BIOS - I couldn't even get an offer for DMA, until I checked in my BIOS and saw that the IDE Secondary Slave (were my DVD drive is), had UDMA "disabled" - so I enabled it and now it works great.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back