Cannot view any web page IE6 and XP Pro

R

ranger_cole

I have lost the ability to view web pages in IE6 in XP Pro. I can connect via dialup to internet but all I get is page cannot be displayed. Any site I try gives a blank page. I can ping myself but when I ping www.cnn.com <http://www.cnn.com> or others like this the site cannot be found. Other programs that update via internet like adaware or spybot cannot update either. Xp firewall is off. I do use Outpost Firewall 1.0. I tried turning it off but still no page is displayed. 2 thing I have installed recently are Beyond Wolfinstein (I uninstalled last night but it did not help) and I installed fix it 5 from v-com. It is similar to a host file error that sometimes happens in Win98. I do not have system restore turned on.
Yes I did search fourm before posting.

Your hostfile is corrupt here is a link for the Win 98 workaround.
/www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=enhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en

Does this link work for XP?

I found a hosts file in windows\system32\drivers\etc. I deleted and then renamed it as old_hots file and rebooted both times. I the cheked the same location in xp but no new hosts file was created. I still got no page displayed.

I found that Java virtual machine is damaged per windows xp. IE6-tools-internetoptions-settings view objects-JVM 1.31. Attached is a screen shot of the pings I did. I could not look up names www.cnn.com, no server, but I could ping numbers.

The pc I am using is a dual boot win 98se and win xp pro. 2 different harddrives are used both bootable. I have my isp dialup on both pcs and the win 98se pc is not experiencing the problem. Also could you please tell me how do you set the DNS server for a pc?

Yes I have I do use Agnitum Outpost Firewall 1.0 on both hard drives.
You said "Can you ping the DNS server ip addresses?" Isn't that what I tried before? I am not sure. I attached a screen shoot of the pings I tried.

If you are on Dial up it has nothing to do with your DNS, DNS settings on your pc through the TC/IP are for Broadband ... I would call your isp and ask them what is going on ..

I tried turning the firewall off and still got no page displayed on all sites I tried. Also programs such as adaware, etc. that update via the internet will not update even though I know there are updates out there. It will be later today 9-18-03 before I can try anymore DNS fixes.

Originally posted by Enyo
lechtard, thats incorrent, dial up connections have there own TCP/IP settings under there connection item in network connections. It has everything to do with it. DNS is a essential part of normal internet operations and is not limited to broadband.
Yeah - I had a brain fart with this one .. Sorry about the confusion.

Well system restore was on and I was able to restore back before Fix-It 5 was installed. I was able to surf sites after restore. I the tried installed Fix-It 5 and when I tried surfing I got the same no page displayed. I will contact V-com about this issue and let everyone know the results.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back