Cannot Share files between xp and vista

kev59

OSNN Senior Addict
I have my main comp downstairs which is on windows XP i have set up a network etc but cannot view my other laptops which are in the house. They are on windows vista. i would like to share the d drives and the printer etc. the 2 laptops see each other and share files fine but cannot see the main and the main cannot see them. Can any one help please

do you have them set to use the same network name, do they all use the same logon and password, and have you selected the folders you wish to share and added users that can see them ?

i think so only a novice so can you please point me in the right direction. The laptops are wireless and operate though the the router the main comp is by ethernet

thank you that worked they now see each other only problem is i have shared d drive on my laptop but it sees it but says it is not accessible I have taken off the password etc for the lap top but it still will not let me access.

have you set the permissions and users right on it ?

you need to have accounts that have passwords and you need to log onto the other machine , try going into my network places and seeing if you can log on , also you need to set your network as local and internet within Vista .

in control panel -> users

make sure the information is the same - eg same log/pass on all pcs, and make sure you have the folders shared and the permissions set, having the same log/pass on all pcs will make things simpler

how have you shared the d drive - whole or by folders ? and do you have simple sharing enabled ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back