Cannot select multiple files in Windows Explorer

Benj

Benjamin
Hi all,

first ever post on this forum - sorry that it's a complaint about Vista :(

Been running Vista for a couple of days, and I now find that I cannot select multiple files in Windows Explorer. I can only multiple-select on the Desktop, which is hardly a consolation! It's a real pain... others have had the same problem,

here: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1019236&SiteID=1

and here: http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/select-multiple-default-Download-folder-ftopict1502.html

but none of the solutions work (for me at least) - even the suggested registry hack mentioned in the second link.

This seems such a basic thing - I'm amazed M$ have apparently overlooked it in their 'final' release ...!

Any help, ideas, please?

B

Hi all

Well, I guess no-one here has had this problem - but posting a solution, for anyone in case they do in future (or until M$ offer a patch)..

it's a registry hack - as always, hack the registry *at your own risk* - as follows:

In Regedit navigate to each of these keys (some may not exist) and delete them

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
and delete the value
ShellState

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState
and delete the value
Settings

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

...and then simply reboot.

I gleaned this info from a page talking about XP, but the basic idea seems to work just fine for Vista too: http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/WinXP/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/2004-09/8254.html

hope it works for you,

B

I haven't encountered this problem, but thanks for posting the fix, Benj. :)

Thanks NetRyder,

have to say that the problem did retured again - even after the fix above worked - after about a day.

Took a deep breath and contacted M$ support and the only action that got things right again was to create a new admin account, and delete the old (apparently currupted) one. Things are ok so far - but it still doesn't explain how the account became currupted in the first place, and why others have had exactly the same experience... they can't all be carelessly currupting their accounts, in the same way, with the same results - can they?

best to all, till later,

B

What I did to fix this was:

> Control Panel
> Folder Options
> View Tab
> Reset Folders

I also changed one of the Advanced settings too so not sure if this helped.

Kind Regards,

Graham

I encountered this problem with Beta 2 but it seems it ironed itself out by the time of RC 1. I have had no problem with either of my OEM versions. Which version of Vista are you using?

I encountered this problem with Beta 2 but it seems it ironed itself out by the time of RC 1. I have had no problem with either of my OEM versions. Which version of Vista are you using?

Hi,

I'm using Home Premium - retail / non upgrade. So far, the problem seems to be gone for good since I created a new admin account, and deleted the old one. Still - seemed to me to be drastic action to solve the problem. And as I mentioned before, it still doesn't explain why it happened in the first place. But then again, maybe it's not important - it it's a solution that works... you know? :ermm:

B

What I did to fix this was:

> Control Panel
> Folder Options
> View Tab
> Reset Folders

I also changed one of the Advanced settings too so not sure if this helped.

Kind Regards,

Graham

Hi Felicitous,

...since you mention Folder Options, I was wondering if everyone was seeing something strange, that I noticed: no matter what I try in terms of customisation, I always find the 'Apply to Folders' button in the 'View' tab is greyed out - I mean I've never seen it active!

Weird, no?

Anyone know why this should be?

all best,

B

You have to go inside your main directory first.

When you click on computer >> folder options
You are outside of the directory your folders are in so there is no way to customize them.

If drive is C: then click on Computer >> C: >> folder options
Now the options on View tab will be enabled

You have to go inside your main directory first.

When you click on computer >> folder options
You are outside of the directory your folders are in so there is no way to customize them.

If drive is C: then click on Computer >> C: >> folder options
Now the options on View tab will be enabled

Hi, thanks for the reply

...do you mean the view options shown in Windows Explorer? I meant the 'Folder Options' applet in Control Panel - within the 'View' tab of this applet, there is an 'Apply to Folders' button... that's what is always greyed out. Incidentally, if I open anywhere in Windows Explorer at the same time, it makes no difference to what is happening in the 'Folder Options' applet.

Anyway, I was just curious, because there doesn't seem much point in a button that is *always* greyed out! :)

best,

B

No I meant if you go to tools > folder options or organize > folder and search options then click on the View tab. I think it is grayed out in control panel because like I said before you are not in a folder.

You can apply the view (such as Details or Icons) that you are using for this folder to all folders of this type

No I meant if you go to tools > folder options or organize > folder and search options then click on the View tab. I think it is grayed out in control panel because like I said before you are not in a folder.

Hi American Zombie,

thank you - now I see exactly what you mean. I guess I was confused because in XP there was only ever the option to customise folders from within Windows Explorer, and not in Control Panel (as I remember)... and so the logic of what you've said follows,

thanks again,

B

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back