Cannot install SuSe or run a live CD

trackrat

Birmingham UK
I am having problems getting linux on to my new computer.
SuSe 9.2 pro will not install properly and trying to run Knoppix or Mepis from live CD`s produces this problem.
PCI: Cannot allocate resources region 3 of device 0000:02:00.0
I cannot run the Ispci command as I cannot get Linux to run.
Windows is installed and running OK, is there any command in windows that will give the same information.

I believe the 0000:02 bus is going to be your PCI cards section. IIRC 0000:00 is your northbridge, 0000:01 is the AGP bridge, and 0000:02 is the PCI section.

So, try and remove any PCI cards you have in and see if it will boot.

FYI, the command is lspci, not ispci

j79zlr said:
I believe the 0000:02 bus is going to be your PCI cards section. IIRC 0000:00 is your northbridge, 0000:01 is the AGP bridge, and 0000:02 is the PCI section.

So, try and remove any PCI cards you have in and see if it will boot.

FYI, the command is lspci, not ispci

I only have 2 PCI slots on the motherboard and they are both empty.

It was a typing error, I meant to put lspci.

unless hardware is damaged linux can run anywhere, so i'm guessing that something is wrong with a hardware

Two thoughts:

1. Are you running a newer model Dell? This happens frequently on a few newer models of Dell computers because the graphics card's memory is BIOS controlled until a PnP OS allocates more memory to it. Since most UNIX-based distro's can't allocate this until after the OS has booted, you will need to go into your BIOS and increase the video ram from 1MB default to 8MB.

2. Are you using an Intel motherboard with integrated graphics? Some Intel Xtreme Graphics cards do what I mentioned above with the Dell. Thus, you will need to go into the BIOS and do the exact same thing above.

I have tracked it down to a device called a Programmable interrupt controller which is to do with the PCI bus.
But I am at a loss of what to do next :speechless:

Last edited:
My set up is this.
Abit AX8 motherboard
AMD 64 3500 processor
2 x 1gb Crucial pc3200
2 x 80gb Maxtor sata drives
XFX 6600gt 128mb graphics card

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back