Cannot install games????

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

This is strange,

I have been trying to install my two games, FarCry & Doom3. With each one, The first CD starts the installation wizard, then proceeds to ask for other CD's during the install, normal. The problem arises when it is coming to the end of the install. The wizard(s) says that it cannot continue the install and all the files that have been transferred to the folder, as well as the folder itself, disappear.
I do not know what it is going on, with both games, why they are doing that.
They were installed successfully before. Any ideas?

Heeter

Possibly scratched disc?

You could try making disc images to the hard drive and then using a virtual drive and see if they install from there. I'm sure someone has a better idea though

Perhaps check if there is a new version of installsheild or something .. maybe yours have corrupted? I'm just shooting out ideas. :)

1- Yes, they are both very, very legit games.

2- HD is only quarter-full at the moment. I keep my gaming machine HD's very empty.

3- Scratched discs. I wouldn't think so. remotely possible, I guess. It'stwo different games doing the same thing.

4- How could I check installsheild version, perhaps even update it, or fix. Sounds like my problem could be that.

Thanks so far.

Heeter

Clean yer CD/DVD drive... The optic is prolly dirty. I have had that happen at work with the PC there. Get out yer Disk Cleaner CD. :)

And also wipe off the Disks. Oils from yer hands and stuff. :)

Tried that, Gonaads.

Tried installing games from other DVD drive as well. No go.

Must be a reg edit, or maybe corrupted installsheild as Xie pointed out.

Heeter

Ya try ta install on another PC after this prob? Just ta test?

dreamliner77 said:
Possibly scratched disc?

You could try making disc images to the hard drive and then using a virtual drive and see if they install from there.
Did you try that?

Hi Hipster,

I just tried installing them onto another machine, one that I am fixing for a neighbor. Both those games installed just fine. So, it must be something with my gaming machine, not the actual CD's.

I am still stumped,

Heeter

Maybe give this page a read and see if anything suggested works for you. :)

Hi Teddy,

Yes I did, it didn't help. Thanks for trying the help.

Heeter

Hi Guys,

Well after exhausting all recommendations from the folks here, I went ahead and reinstalled Windows from scratch. I guess I needed to do it anyways, as because other stuff like network connections were acting funny as well. All is well now.

Thanks for the help.

Heeter

had exact same problem and a reinstall was the only thing i could do to fix it i tried alot. glad to hear you got it sorted out as well.

one thing you could've tried was updating your installer, you'd need to find out who makes it but it'll probably be one of these guys:

http://www.installshield.com/
http://www.ondemandsoftware.com/
http://www.wise.com/

what you'd then have to do is see if you can download the installer update or full program (the most recent one), this will probably solve the problem, as what may be happening is your installer is corrupted or something.

I had a similar problem with NT 4 trying to install norton, and this helped except then you could get the .msi from microsoft, they don't seem to have that on their website for xp/2000 but if you have win98/me you could use this as well:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cebbacd8-c094-4255-b702-de3bb768148f&DisplayLang=en

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back