cannot flush ARP cache

dave holbon

OSNN Veteran Addict
I’m getting “cannot flush ARP cache” errors on my small home network, anyone know how to resolve the issue and yes I’ve been to the “six best ways” that appear on the Google search, none are any good except one which re-sets all connections using the command line, but I can’t remember the syntax?

BT Ethernet modem, switch and two PC's with Ethernet cards, IP addresses seem to change daily on internal network and XP’s own firewall seems to re-activate itself randomly which locks the server.

Would it be better to do-away with automatic IP assignment and manually configure the addresses as before, or is the XP automatic network setup the best?

dave holbon said:
I’m getting “cannot flush ARP cache” errors on my small home network, anyone know how to resolve the issue and yes I’ve been to the “six best ways” that appear on the Google search, none are any good except one which re-sets all connections using the command line, but I can’t remember the syntax?

BT Ethernet modem, switch and two PC's with Ethernet cards, IP addresses seem to change daily on internal network and XP’s own firewall seems to re-activate itself randomly which locks the server.

Would it be better to do-away with automatic IP assignment and manually configure the addresses as before, or is the XP automatic network setup the best?
ya, manually configure a static ip with the router, then allow it through the firewall

oh, I forgot to say it;

great to see you dave!!

ps, you might be able to flush some stuff with a cmd;

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

and;

NETSH INTERFACE IP DELETE ARPCACHE

Perris: -

Thanks for that it sort of worked by which I mean it got rid of the error message however this was replaced with something to do with not being able to allocate IP addresses or refresh them something similar. In the end I gave up unplugged the entire network and plugged it back in again. No change, however after about twenty or so minutes a strange message popped up “Routing and Remote Access service has stopped” I thought well that that then, no more network two minutes later up popped a message telling me that the local area network was now connected again and it’s been working perfectly ever since including all the shares and network connections. What’s going on here I wonder?

Thank's for that, my brains going!!!

:suprised: :) :) :)

Or it could just be M$ crappy networking. My home network at my home in CA, had all kinds of totaly strange things happen. From everthing working just fine to only 1 comp could access the internet, 5 mins later only the other one could, then neither, but they could still see each other, then both would connect (all by themselfs, I did n't touch anything yet) but then they couldn't see each other, then they would both drop their DNS, and IP, loss the gateway, and router. Screw arround with it for hours getting nowhere, and while sitting there scraching my head, everything would fix it's self for no aparent reason.

Maveric169 said:
Or it could just be M$ crappy networking. My home network at my home in CA, had all kinds of totaly strange things happen..
are you saying you had less trouble networking when you did it with linux, fee bsd and mac?

if so, I could use your help with my linux 64 setup, I am having trouble hunting down a couple of drivers for the wirelss cards, most specifically, my sprint telephone card.

thanx in advance

This was the result of running the network setup wizard (XP) which set everything to automatic and re-allocated all the IP addresses to incorrect values using the floppy disk method. This message was in the system logs after: -

The DHCP allocator has disabled itself on IP address 169.254.5.37, since the IP address is outside the 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 scope from which addresses are being allocated to DHCP clients. To enable the DHCP allocator on this IP address, please change the scope to include the IP address, or change the IP address to fall within the scope.

Note that it says it has disabled itself on IP 169.254.5.37 which itself changed from 192.168.0.1. If I change it back to a valid range windows changes it back to an invalid range without asking me! What sort of madness is this?

On re-booting I got a win32 error and the network is now usless.

:) :eek: :eek:

try running the set up wizard again and don't set it to automatic...maybe you can set the proper ip range through the wizard and have it stick

perris said:
are you saying you had less trouble networking when you did it with linux, fee bsd and mac?

if so, I could use your help with my linux 64 setup, I am having trouble hunting down a couple of drivers for the wirelss cards, most specifically, my sprint telephone card.

thanx in advance

Sorry Perris can't help you there bro, I was just pointing out that M$'s networking setup/configurator is crap, a small vent for the years of hair loss and OTC migrain meds from networking M$ platform comps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back