Cannot Delete Folder

luish

OSNN Senior Addict
I am Using Win Xp Sp1.
I have a Folder in "C:\Downloads\ASD" that when I try to delete it I get a Message :
" Cannot delete m: Cannot find the specific file
Make sure you specidy the correct path and file name ".

When I get into that directory and I try to create a new folder I get a message :
" unable to create the folder "New Folder"
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

Every now and then the folder autocreates files like : 5, 9, e, e, e,n each file has no extension and some files are 1KB and other 6,969 KB a total of 24MB.

How can I delete this ?

Is this a virus ??

I have NAV 2002 - updated.....

Please help I don't know what is happening...

See if this works>
Open note pad then file/open. Navigate to the folder & highlight it then hit delete.

Well if this doesn't work it is probabaly a virus of some sort>

Deleting files - Access Denied Error

Explorer.exe in XP has a bad habit of wanting to hang on to files, even when you have finished using them - therefore when you try to delete the file, XP will say "Access Denied".
This error occurs more often when working with media files - mp3, avi, mpeg etc.
TIP:
Close all open applications.
Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files.
Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "explorer.exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".
That will leave you with only the command prompt and the task manager running.
Now at the Command Prompt, its time to delete the file(s). Using the DEL command. Example c:>\movies\DEL movie.avi
Now the files are deleted, go to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task" button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

For folders the command is 'rd'.

Seems to be not the 'access denied' but the 'cannot find file or folder' problem.

Open a command window and navigate to the directory this folder is in. Now type DIR /x . This will give you the 8.3 names of files and folders. Try this name to delete. If still no luck, close explorer from the taskmanager (end process explorer.exe), leave task manager open and try this command in the command window
RD \\.\C:\DOWNLO~1\UNDEL~1 (replace C:\DOWNLO~1\UNDEL~1 with the path of your folder to delete using DOS names).
Start explorer again in task manager. File - New task - explorer.
Hope it works.

Agree with Enyo there is probably something running that creates the files. Let's hope you are running Pro because 'tasklist' isn't available in Home.
Do you know where this folder comes from, whether it is related to any of your programs. Can you open the files somehow? Try to drag one in a notepad window.

The same thing happened to me with a different folder, tried deleting it from safe mode, command prompt, even booting with a Win98 boot disk and deleting from the prompt, never did get rid of it until I reformatted. Got the same error message you are getting.

First off, run chkdsk to see if it can help fix the problem.
chkdsk C: \F \V \X

Next, move everything out of C:\Downloads that you need to keep. Next, try to delete Downloads.

One thing I did notice tho, you have 3 files in there with the name "e" which should be impossible. Also notice the time stamps on those files. 1980 just after 00:00? Sounds fishy to me.

Originally posted by zyfos
First off, run chkdsk to see if it can help fix the problem.
chkdsk C: \F \V \X

Next, move everything out of C:\Downloads that you need to keep. Next, try to delete Downloads.

One thing I did notice tho, you have 3 files in there with the name "e" which should be impossible. Also notice the time stamps on those files. 1980 just after 00:00? Sounds fishy to me.
I must thank you.....
I did what you say and after a reboot i could erase all the files...
I don't know WTF it was but thanks god it is gone....

BTW when I tryed tough the REcovery COnsole I got an Access Denide Error when I tryed to enter the folder...
Thanks to everyone that tryed to help..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back