cannot d/l anything from anywhere (almost)

J

JeremyT

Having a fairly large problem that I cannot seem to solve...

I am on a cable connection through Chater Pipeline. I am not using a router, and usually have a firewall running, but for this problem it doesn't matter if it is or is not running (Sygate personal firewall if your wondering).

I cannot d/l any file from any server at anytime. It will either A. not start at all, B. start, get to 21% and stop or C. d/l at an extremely slow rate (200BYTES/sec) and stop. I can however use kazaa to d/l anything. I can surf the web just fine, play games, etc.

I also have problems with flash or shockwave applets loading on web pages. Not all the time, but more often than not. I have all settings within IE set correctly I believe, but maybe there is something I am missing.

I hope someone can help, thanks in advace

-jeremyT

Oh, in case you were wondering, I have tried d/l files from: download.com, the new 40.72 detonator drivers from Nvidia.com, UT2k3 patch from : bluesnews.com, fileplanet.com, filefront.com. and winamp from winamp.com. Nothing worked and I am sure all those servers were not full or down at the time...

As a stop gap measure have you tried a download manager? Net Vampire is easy to figure out. It is advertising supported though but not annoying. If it works you could use it till you figure you problem out.

lol, he probably cant download that either. btw if the xp built in firewall on? tcp ip setting set on auto config and all?

Hipster Doofus: I have been able to try getright and one other (can't recall what it was called) d/l manager. Was a while back though. If I remeber correctly, they did manage to work more often, but still would have the same problems quite often. But, like mafia says, I cannot try anything else right now since I cannot d/l anything ;(...

Mafia: XP firewall is off. and yes, the tcp ip settings are all auto.

yes, automatically detect settings is checked and address is set at "proxy" on port 8080. This is something the ISP told me to do, but hasn't changed anything either. Should it be using the same proxy for everything? That is what is set right now...

It's funny that people ask me to d/l things when I say I cannot d/l anything ;) That said, i WAS actually able to download freshdownload and was able to connect to the servers that previously I could not download from... What does this mean? Bad IE installation or what? Weird that getright wouldn't work too... Thanks for the help everyone, hope it works consistantly now...

At least I can play ut2k3 again ;)

The proxy settings could explain it since Kazaa (and most other apps) don't give a rats ass about the proxy settings in IE.

yeap, i have ie 6 with service pack. I've wanted to d/l Opera now for a while, but obviously, couldn't. Think I will do that now as a matter of fact.

I just added the proxy info yesterday, was not using it before. Proxy is suppose to make it [the conenction] seem faster yes? It didn't matter however is I was or was not using it. I have a lot to learn still. Thanks for the help guys...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back