Cannot change XP wallpaper as admin?

ScottFern

IT guy
I am an admin on our network and logged into my own machine on our domain I cannot change the wallpaper settings. Now I checked Group Policy for any OU that would have those settings greyed out, but I can't? In fact everyone in the domain has the same blue background, when in group policy it is set to the beach wallpaper.

Now I did notice that Active Desktop was turned on, but nowhere did I see a setting to turn off wallpaper. I did notice however that someone locks their machine the beach wallpaper comes up just for that screen? Weird...

With Active Desktop enabled it is possible to have two wallpapers going. One when Active Desktop is loaded and one when logging on/off. Disable Active Desktop, set the background to "None", then reboot and see if the GPO kicks in.

With Active Desktop enabled it is possible to have two wallpapers going. One when Active Desktop is loaded and one when logging on/off. Disable Active Desktop, set the background to "None", then reboot and see if the GPO kicks in.

Where else can you set wallpapers in Active Directory besides Active Desktop options?

I forgot to mention that all the users here have a central mandatory profile. Does that impact any of this? I read that since we have IE7 installed that we need to list our server hosting the wallpaper share as a trusted site?

I am seeing something weird now that I changed the wallpaper and listed our file server as a trusted site in IE via group policy. Everyones profile is going from the blank blue background to the one I specified but it never sticks. It seems like it keeps going back to blue background every other day?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back