Cannot access file(s)

oreverb

OSNN Junior Addict
Why is it that I can't access a few files on my HD? There are a few video files, executables and archives like this. I have downloaded them just like any other file, but I can't do anything with them, not open, move, rename, copy, change attributes etc. The only thing I can do is look at the files' properties.

Windows (XP Pro SP2) just basically gives the error "Access is denied", depending on the operation I'm trying.

Could it be some malfunction with the drive (an external Lacie 160 GB)? I've done a CHKDSK on it (with a boot), but it made no difference. The drive has also been defragmented multiple times. And I've applied some registry fixes that are supposed to help access big AVI files. Could it be a virus? Data execution prevention? I'm a bit out of ideas.

Thanks for reading.

do you have or use multiple accounts? Is there any way you might need to "take ownership" of these files? Might be worth a try, you should have no trouble finding the instructions for this if you search on the forums - it comes up regularly

Mainframeguy said:
do you have or use multiple accounts? Is there any way you might need to "take ownership" of these files? Might be worth a try, you should have no trouble finding the instructions for this if you search on the forums - it comes up regularly
I have just one account which has the type of Computer administrator. (Which I use all the time.)

OK - probly won't work - my idea was just to try it... and see... also you say acces is denied "depending on the operation" - maybe if you elaborate on that or tie things down further (any chance you can check PHYSICAL location of files on your disk?) then a pattern might emerge...)...

PS do you have any other disk or media you can try copying these files to? Is copy workable? And after can you access the copies?

Mainframeguy said:
OK - probly won't work - my idea was just to try it... and see... also you say acces is denied "depending on the operation" - maybe if you elaborate on that or tie things down further (any chance you can check PHYSICAL location of files on your disk?) then a pattern might emerge...)...

PS do you have any other disk or media you can try copying these files to? Is copy workable? And after can you access the copies?
I can't copy the files. With that depending-phrase I meant that the same Access is denied message comes up but just in different form.

I don't know how to check a physical location for files, but a few defrag programs I have tell that the whole disk is contiguous.

Hipster Doofus said:
See how you go over at Microsoft.
When I normally boot the OS, there is no such Security tab in File Properties. In Safe Mode there is, but in that mode my external FW drive is not visible.

See how you go here to get the security tab. Might be able to figure out why it is missing from your system.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back