Can you put CDROMs on Promise controllers?

A

adamg

I have an onboard Promise 20276 ATA133/RAID controller on my mobo. Is this only for HDDs or can I put my DVD-ROM on it?

Hmm...I dunno. Shouldn't hurt to try. I have a Promise PCI controller that I run CD-ROMS on.

I have an add on PCI promise controller. When I put cdroms on it, I have problems. Even with a zip drive on it it still messes up. I would suggest you try it first and see.

No problems at all. It should work with any ATA devices. I have a Promise HDD controller (non-RAID, though: Ultra133 TX2) and I've got a DVD-RW and a HDD connected to it. Before I bought that DVD-RW, there was a DVD-ROM instead. :p

Shouldn't hurt to try. :)

I think since you have a HDD on it ur ok, I just strictly had a cdrom, cdrw and a dvdrom.

i got promise raid and i got my dvd and cdrom on it. no problems.

This controller does not read / initialise all ATA 33 hardware correctly, although is usually OK on ATA 100 etc hard drives........ depends on the make, as other people have said.
You pay your money and you take your chance.

I tried and it worked. Thanks for all the advice. It may have worked because the DVD is a UDMA mode 4 (66) device.

I never knew CD/DVD drives could go up to UDMA4. o_O So far all of my CD and DVD drives have a maximum of UDMA2 on the controller. *_*

What's up with that? I'd really like to know if my DVD-RW supports UDMA4, which should improve burning/reading greatly.

my 16x pioneer dvdrom is udma 4, but only some dvdroms are. i haven't seen any cdroms or cdrw's that were anything but udma 2. dvdrw's, on the other hand... i imagine some would be udma 2 and some 4, just like dvdroms since they're max throughput isn't going to be any higher (16x is the fastest right now, right?). udma 2 can handle burning dvd's at 4x or even 8x just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back