Can XP boot to DOS?

q12368c

OSNN Addict
Hi

Can I set WinXP to boot to previous OS(like win98 DOS?)?

many thk.

how can I find the boot manager? I am a beginer in computer.
thank you.

Well with WindowsXP you can configure the system to boot Windows 98 and XP but you will need to do a few things. First is if you have a single hard drive you'll have to partition it. After that you will need to format the partition you will be installing 98 on. Then after that you'll need to format the partition where XP would be and being the fact that if you do a 98 install that partition will be formatted in FAT32 which means for the sake of being able to access stuff on the XP partition from 98 you'll have to format the XP partition on FAT32 also or if you don't want access to it from 98 then NTFS. I would agree with Hipster that XP as a boot manager but for it to work right you need to install 98 first then XP in that order. In my opinion too much work.

if u just want to get to old dos thing and your partition is fat32 use boot floppy from win 98 or ME, and it'll work. if it's NTFS then u cant boot with that floppy

I knew I forgot something in my post so thanks mafiafromrussia. As mafia said u can use a boot disk from 98 or Me to format the partition/drive in FAT32

my system is FAt32. XP is already installed on it. Any program that can change so that it have a boot menu every time start up?

Well it can be done with XP already installed, but I'm not sure as to where the actual tool is located. I believe its right click on my computer go to properties advanced tab. Start up and Recovery and there should be something bout the boot menu. I'm not sure if thats exactly where it is but it should be close

i think u can try booting from xp cd. then go to recovery. there type "help" or something, well get menu of all commands avaliable. and u'll bet something like "rebuild boot" something like that try it. hope it helps

I want to boot to a command prompt, like Win98 "boot to previous OS" in the start menu(msdos.sys).so can I?

Press F8 as the system boots.

BTW, keep in mind there is no DOS layer as such with XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back