can windowsxp cd be rewriten

midget hunter

OSNN Junior Addict
If any one knows about this please help me out . I have been infected with something but cant find it. I have read only access to alot of files others no access even in safe mode,theres a unknowen user that has special access , and if i download a update for my antivirus and go to restart it does not shut down right. I scaned with a antivirus that logs the full scan and 60percent of the scan faild on becuase access is denide. I wiped my cpu out and restarted ran wipe drive.Then checked to make sure no data left on hard drive cleared cmos thats all i know how to do . After all that i loaded the win xp cd in and started i think fresh,9mins till installion complete 3 comand prompt boxes pop up bottom of screen so it makes me think the cd in infected can some one of backdoored me and used the burner to do this or what if anyone can help let me know thank you

It is highly unlikely, althought possible, that your Windows CD is infected. If your CD is a master, (i.e. it has the Hologram on it), then it is 100% not infected. If your CD is a CD-R, perhaps there is a small chance. More details?

It sounds like you have a MBR (Master Boot Record) Virus, if anything. Start with this, and report back.

if you XP cd is an unpatched XP cd (IE not one with service pack 1 or 2 pre-installed either by MS or a friend) then you are suffering from msblast.

An unpatched XP will be penetrated withing 12 minuts of being placed online (at the datacentre I work I have seen this as little as 30 seconds).

You'll want to find a frind who can download AutoPatcher June/July and burn it to cd for you
then you'll want to install XP, then use autopatcher (after applying Service pack2) though you'll want your fridn to use an application called nlite to pre-install service pack 2 to the install files and make you a pre-patched cd first) and then run autopatcher from cd before plugging your pc into the internet.

Thanks im reading it now see if it helps. It has to be more help then the tech suport for norton, what a joke i told them i told them i ran the online virus scan 10 times .and that was his help for me "use online virus scaner " and a like to remove downloader trojans im sending this thing back Any one know what av/fw program that might work cuz norton let it slip right

LordOfLA said:
if you XP cd is an unpatched XP cd (IE not one with service pack 1 or 2 pre-installed either by MS or a friend) then you are suffering from msblast.

An unpatched XP will be penetrated withing 12 minuts of being placed online (at the datacentre I work I have seen this as little as 30 seconds).

You'll want to find a frind who can download AutoPatcher June/July and burn it to cd for you
then you'll want to install XP, then use autopatcher (after applying Service pack2) though you'll want your fridn to use an application called nlite to pre-install service pack 2 to the install files and make you a pre-patched cd first) and then run autopatcher from cd before plugging your pc into the internet.

Very good points. I was actually thinking about this post while driving to work, (lol). I made the first post right after I woke up, and I don't always think in complete thoughts at that time. I too have seen an infection within 30 seconds, actually happened the other day on a new machine I was putting together. Pretty sad how quick that happens.

Another good thing to note, is that you can order, for FREE, Windows XP SP2 on CD. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Or download the full network install

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Basically, you want to follow this rule when installing XP...

• Install OS (Preferably with SP2 slipstreamed)
  • Install SP2 either via CD from above or D/L from above
  • Install Software Firewall if no Hardware Firewall is present. Zonealarm is a great free option.
  • Install Anti-virus Software
  • Make sure you reboot after installation of each of these
  • Hook to the internet and Auto-Update like a mad man
  • After updating, you will have to reboot
  • Run scans, then proceed
It's a shame how wide-open the internet is, but once you are patched you are much safer.

ok now the only thing is that i had the computer unhooked from the dsl at the time and the boxes that poped up at the bottom of the screen right before it was done installing, were the same ones that poped up on the screen when my problems started well i mean did same style thing one poped up the the other then the 3rd ran for like 20secs if that i know this might sound stupid but it almost seams like im runing windows threw another program like but i dont know by the way thanx for takeing the time to help me

Last edited:
midget hunter said:
ok now the only thing is that i had the computer unhooked from the dsl at the time and the boxes that poped up at the bottom of the screen right before it was done installing, were the same ones that poped up on the screen when my problems started

That makes sense, to an extent. If you have a MBR virus, that doesn't go away when you are trying to re-install. Also, it could be tied to your RAM (I haven't seen that in a longgggg time, but you never know.)

Try turning off your PC, opening the case, take out ALL sticks of the RAM you have, remove your CMOS battery, then wait about 15-30 seconds. Put the battery back in, but leave the RAM out. Your system will beep at you like a crying baby, but it will just give you an error and won't boot. After you receive said error, power off again. Insert RAM, that would clear out the RAM section. Some viruses actually live in RAM.

ok will doing all this get rid of it even if it is a mbr virus

Last edited:
kcnychief said:
It is highly unlikely, althought possible, that your Windows CD is infected. If your CD is a master, (i.e. it has the Hologram on it), then it is 100% not infected. If your CD is a CD-R, perhaps there is a small chance. More details?

It sounds like you have a MBR (Master Boot Record) Virus, if anything. Start with this, and report back.

It's not possible, even with a CD-R. Good call on MBR.

I would say to try the fixmbr function in the recovery console (if it is a master boot record error)..but be warned, this can be a BAD thing, read up a bit on it before attempting.

In my crystal ball I see a format in your near future :cry:

I also think the virus is in the Master Boot Record (MBR), I've read this thread quickly, but I'd advise you to start your pc with a win98 floppy and, from command prompt, run "fdisk /mbr" , this command is supposed to completely erase the MBR... Good luck ;)

Howling Wolf said:
I also think the virus is in the Master Boot Record (MBR), I've read this thread quickly, but I'd advise you to start your pc with a win98 floppy and, from command prompt, run "fdisk /mbr" , this command is supposed to completely erase the MBR... Good luck ;)

If a win98 floppy is not handy, you can also boot to the XP CD and run the recovery console.

well all i have on this computer is windows nortons and yahoo so would it be better to start from scratch i was reading about useing the debuging tool to wipe it all out even the cdrom drive is that a good way to go i have wipe drive also so what should i use and anyone know what "Account Unknown (S-1-5-32-547) would be linked to "

no idea.

I'd go for the full format and reinstall with XP SP2, if you have a friend with a cd burner get them to download the network install of service pack 2 and the nlite tool from http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html then he can "slipstream" service pack 2 into your XP CD and you can install pre-patched and less vulnerable.

Then you can install autopatcher (http://www.autopatcher.com/) and lastely run by microsoft update.

You should be all set to get on with life in windows after that :D

A router would help you with the venerabilities when formatting and will allow you to be on the net without being infected in 30seconds.

I have a cd i can boot from with sp1 on it now. so im good there as long as i can use my unlockcode on it of use his again so im good there naw just trying to read up on deleting eaverything on the cpu
clearing cmos by pulling battery and and c mos jumper fdisk debug to clear the hd and clear the ram "thanx for the info on that <kcnychife> im also going to wipe drive IS there any thing else i need to do to start fresh ? Doing this will i need to make a flopy boot disk or will my cd rom still work ? sorry for all the ????z but really only thing i know about cpus is the crash corse ive gave my self these last 2 weeks going at it for 12 hrs or better a day needless to say my brain is about fryed

midget hunter said:
I have a cd i can boot from with sp1 on it now. so im good there as long as i can use my unlockcode on it of use his again so im good there naw just trying to read up on deleting eaverything on the cpu
clearing cmos by pulling battery and and c mos jumper fdisk debug to clear the hd and clear the ram "thanx for the info on that <kcnychife> im also going to wipe drive IS there any thing else i need to do to start fresh ? Doing this will i need to make a flopy boot disk or will my cd rom still work ? sorry for all the ????z but really only thing i know about cpus is the crash corse ive gave my self these last 2 weeks going at it for 12 hrs or better a day needless to say my brain is about fryed

I hear you on the fried part, no worries. All you need to do, although my directions were extreme, was about the RAM and the CMOS and fdisk /mbr. Other than that, do the Windows XP Installation off the CD. This will give you the option to completely format your drive, I suggest NTFS. You should be solid after that, just DO NOT plug your computer into the Internet until you have as many updates installed as possible. If you can, use a friends computer, go to a library or something and try to download the full SP2 as I linked above, burn it to a CD. Once you get into Windows, install that, you will be MUCH better off. I believe there is something like 24 or so critical updates since SP2, but that is better than about 60 you would need with just SP1.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back