Can someone help? S-video out Question.

Shade2074

OSNN Addict
Help! I just got a new Dell Latitude d600 through my school. It's the first notebook computer I ever had, here's my problem though - My s-video cable (which I purchased separately before I got the computer) has the standard four pins and the s-video out on the back of my dell had seven holes. I called dell to see if I was missing some kind of an adapter or something and they had no idea what I was talking about.

I would like to be able to connect my notebook computer to my TV so I can play some DVD through it - what do I need to do? Do i just have the wrong cable? Is there more than one kind of s-video cable?

Here’s a link to what I got:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d600?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb

Hmm weird. I have a D600 too (sweet laptop eh?) looks like you have a wrong cable. Keep in mind that the port is ONLY for s-video and don't try to plug any mice or keyboards into it... Go bring your laptop to a radioshack and try the cable before you buy it.

Edit: i've connected my laptop to my tv a couple of times... just make sure you got the right cable.

-lieb39

Just guessing but I think all you need is what they said, an adapter. Take it to an elcectrical shop. They should have what you need. You want to go from 4 pins into 7.

Thank you for the replys.

I did finally figure it out. The port on the computer has more holes for upgrade-ablility but a standard s-video cable will still work in it. The first dell rep I spoke with must have been new or something - becuase the second dell rep I just got off the phone with knew exactly what I was talking about. It turned out I needed to update and re-install the video driver as well - once that was done everything worked as it should :)

lieb39 - Ya, I've only had it a day now but so far i'm lovin it! It's the first time I've had wireless internet connection FREEDOM!

You probably got one of those geek interns from the commercial...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back