can one do gaming on Win Server 2003?

S

SaintKaden

I mostly play Counter Strike, UT2003 and such....

and uhm... what are some of the downsides of Server 2003?

well...it's a server...not meant for use by the end user...

i guess it plays games, but why not use XP?

I used server and I noticed it was a bit more stable and faster...

I doubt its faster....W2k3 Server, i assume acts like every other server OS ever made and runs a bunch of processes and services you dont need that will slow you down. Servers are resource hogs. I would bet you could run much faster on xp.

Bad idea gaming on Win2k3 server. The only reason why it appears to run faster than XP is because most of the services not essential to the functioning of the server are disabled. However, most of these services would be required for gaming anyways, which would effectively slow down the system anyways. For example, AFAIK, Server 2003 disables the Windows Audio Service (which is responsible for playing all your sounds). Also, DirectX is not installed by default, which is pretty much a necessity if you're planning to use it for gaming.
Besides, Win2k3 costs a LOT more than XP does, and any trial versions that you get will expire after 180 days.

Bottom line: Use XP. It's designed to be a home-user OS. If you really want to free up memory etc, you could check out BlackViper's guide on disabling uneccessary services. Be careful with that though. You don't want to disable anything you need. :)

Thread moved to Operating Systems

my friends using Win2k3 server for Counter-Stike v1.6 dservers they said to me its cool and stable

Windows XP is "cool and stable"

I don't know why people insist on running Windows Server 2003 as a workstation. Get a life!

naaah XP is stable, but i recomment 2003 for its Remote Dsktop program its better than what inuse in xp

You mean Terminal Services? If you configure XP properly you can just about accomplish the same thing. Remote Desktop in XP is just a slimed down version of Terminal Services. It's even listed as Terminal Services in the registry and in Group Policies.

if you wanna make a 1.6 server, stick with Linux.
if you wanna just play 1.6 at home, stick with WinXP.

"Bronx Bomber" i agree with u

"lieb39" i got much information about win2003

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back