can linux automount a shared drive from windows xp?

T

Tbird94sc

can linux automount a shared drive from windows xp?

i can manually mount the drive after i logon everytime but i want it to automount @ logon. i know its gotta be in one of the scripts and ive tried it in the /etx/rc.d/rc/local one and the ~/.bashrc one to no avail. i may have even got the right script but set it up wrong. ive tried the following in both scripts

smbmount //ron/winamp /mnt/mp3

also tried variations like

smbmount -o password=<> //ron/winamp /mnt/mp3
cause the password is blank for now
and
smbmount //ron/winamp /mnt/mp3 -o password=<>

i want it to automount when i logon so i dont have to type it for 5 different shares everytime i need it. please if you know linux HELP ME! im just learning

i still use xp andwindows but if i can learn enough of linux i might change over

You are defenately in the wrong forum! :)
Anyway (from someone who is also just learning at the moment ;)) try putting it somewhere in rc.init instead of rc.d.
Just use the same syntax as when you do it manually. Also "man smbmount" is a good idea. There may be problems (or so I heard) with mounting NTFS volumes. May cause serious problems on both sides. FAT32 works though.

thanks for your response. and slso. i know what forum i am in. it is not so much a linux problem as a networkin problem which is why it is in the networking section of the forum. i am a windows user. i know some of the people in this forum use linux as well. wanted to give it a try. i already did man samba and went to samba.org for their documentation., cant find nething

I STILL NEED HELP

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back