Can I?

C

Custer

Just wondering, I've got 2 HDs, both NTFS, both 30 giggers. Can I format the second drive as FAT32 (and end up with 1 NTFS as the primary and 1 FAT32 as the second) under XP?

Sure - just remember that the NTFS partition will be able to see and work with everything on the FAT partition, but the FAT partition will not even know the NTFS partition exists. You will not be able to access any files on NTFS from the FAT partition.

Allan
I have my boot drive FAT32 & that can recognize NTFS partitions
:confused:

Thanks. The reason I wanted to know is because it was my primary drive until it started acting flakey. I replaced it with a new drive and figured I might as well use it till it completely died. Norton DD hangs at 79% when I try to check/repair the drive and I thought I might format as FAT32 and try to repair again and then convert it to NTFS.

XP can read all compatible filing systems
same goes for the other OS's
win98x cant read NT4/5 because it wasn't invented @ the time
I don't normally use NTFS partitions
but I've done 1 just for you Allan
:p
see pic

XP can read all compatible filing systems
same goes for the other OS's
win9x cant read NT4/5 because it wasn't invented @ the time
I don't normally use NTFS partitions
but I've done 1 just for you Allan
:p
see pic

Thank you TwoZ - you are, of course, 100% correct. I feel like an idiot! Know why? I also used both FAT & NTFS on my home system for several months until I decided to switch everything over to NTFS and of course I could exchange data among all partitions! No excuse other than sometimes my brain locks up on me. Thanks again for setting me - and Custer - straight.

Allan
You must be thinking about networks
where I believe this is the case
[edit]think its something to do with file permissions or something like that[/edit]
;)

Thanks for the excuse, but nope - not the case:(

Actually it was because we talk so much about dual booting at the other site that I keep thinking in terms of Win 98 and XP. I'm so used to giving that warning that I guess it just became force of habit. I've always had the problem of mouth engaging before brain. But again, I appreciate your kind attempt to let me off the hook ;)

Originally posted by allan

I've always had the problem of mouth engaging before brain.

I have the same exact problem, hence I'm on my second marriage.

:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back