Can I upgrade to XP 64

napalmnthemorning

OSNN Senior Addict
I haven't seen much at all that gives people any way of knowing if they can upgrade to XP Pro 64 with their current processors and motherboards. I have a pretty new PC within this last year running a P4 3.4 and a Asus P5GD2 Deluxe motherboard. From what I gather at Asus my motherboard will be upgradable to the 64 bit when the drives are available. How do I tell if my processor can run it.

IF your CPU is not 64 bit no you cant. Simple. CPU-Z will tell you if your cpu has EM64T. However the intel 64bit solution is very poor in its current iteration. if you want to jump on the 64bit bandwagon now you'd do better to move over to amd64.

However if you wait 6-12 months for the 64bit world to catch up Intel will surely have fixed the issues with the implementation and you should be able to upgrade to a processor that performs nicely in both 64 and 32 bit modes.

The intel 6xx series is poor wrt 64 bit instructions?

From what I've seen on benchmarks so far and what i've seen of the 64bit intel's sitting on our racks they are seriously sluggish in 64bit mode. Pop them back onto a 32 bit os and 32 bit apps and the fly along nicely.

Can you link up those benchies? I haven't seen them myself.

Cheer :D

LordOfLA said:
From what I've seen on benchmarks so far and what i've seen of the 64bit intel's sitting on our racks they are seriously sluggish in 64bit mode. Pop them back onto a 32 bit os and 32 bit apps and the fly along nicely.
almost always the wrong drivers, or 32 bit apps running in 64 bit mode

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back