Can I underclock a athlon 1900 to a 1500?

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
I have a 1900 amd athlon cpu and a motherboard that can only take up to a 1.5gz or amd 1500 or 1600 cpu.

The motherboard is a VIA made by Futurepower that is no longer making thoes boards so I can't update the bios to accept a higer than 1.5gz processor. It now has a duron 900 mz with pc 133 ram. But it can take an athlon and ddr ram.

Can I put in a amd 1900 and run it as a 1500? If so can I just set the motherboard's jumper to 133 and jumper the clock speed to x 11? I need a quick response.

Thanks.

Yes, you should be able to. Try a google search for any newer bios updates that allow it.

The processors will run slower. Maybe too slow. Most "non-overclocker" MB will auto detect the "default speed" and use only the appropriate multiplier. You may end up with something slower than 1500, butit should run.

It's possible to cross check the defaults for the 1900 and what your MB will probably set it to but that takes a while and requires details on your MB, Bios, manual, and more info than I have handy anymore on the 1900 series CPUs.

I've run old MB with new CPUs this way when I saw a deal too good to pass up on a Proc.

it may jsut ramp it up if it can read the chip, only one way to find out :)

my new baord shouldnt have been able to see the xp4400, but it did, then i flashed the bios anyway..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back