• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Can I sue N-Case? Spyware Knocked Out My Comp Twice!

FreeWilly

OSNN Senior In Progress
#1
Hey people....wut's up...

I am just writing this to find out a way to sue those
SOB at N-Case!!! Actually I dont think I can but I had
to vent out the frustation......

Does anyone has a list of websites that forcibly
tries to installs spywares!...My comp got infected
twice during browsing and N-Case was involved
with both of them and I had to use System
Restore to revive my laptop.

During the infection i noticed the browsing slowing
down a little and the Microsoft AntiSpyware reported
it detected the installation and I clicked on Block.
After that I ran full scan and tried to clean the infection
but most of my startup software like McAfee antivirus and even
Microsoft Spyware had errors and could not be invoked to
run after a restart. I also used Ad-aware and Spybot to
scan.

The best part about it was I never even agreeed for
anything to be installed on my pc. My internet security
setting which was Medium originally was automatically
set to low. DIdnt know how that happened.
Thank god Microsoft actually had System Restore...
they did something right at least :laugh:

Why dont u hackers out there combine forces
and shut down whatever online presence N-Case has.
Anybody interested in funding that project?
 

yoyo

_________________
#4
OK, try to sue a company that had $19,395,033.00 revenue in 2003. :angry:

180solutions, Inc.
Address: 3600 136th Place SE
City: Bellevue
Province: WA
ZIP Code: 98006
Country: USA
 

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
#5
Zedric said:
You know what? There is a very effective way to avoid spyware all together. The trick is not to use Internet Explorer. Get Firefox instead (or whatever alternative browser you prefer).
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
It's free, it's good, it's fast and it's safe.
yeah it is nice. Except for the fact that the activex plug-in on itsux. Also you can't browse certian sites with add block set, this onefor example ..
 

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political User
#6
Johnny said:
yeah it is nice. Except for the fact that the activex plug-in on itsux. Also you can't browse certian sites with add block set, this onefor example ..

Adblock works fine for osnn, it was built around the option to block ads and still see the normal site. And they arent activeX they are extenstions.....big difference
 

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
#7
Zedric said:
You know what? There is a very effective way to avoid spyware all together. The trick is not to use Internet Explorer. Get Firefox instead (or whatever alternative browser you prefer).
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
It's free, it's good, it's fast and it's safe.
or don't use windows.

*runs and hides in a very small corner*


p.s. thanks for supporting this site by blocking the ads. :dead:
 

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political User
#8
SPeedY_B said:
p.s. thanks for supporting this site by blocking the ads. :dead:
I goto the text ads!!!! (i know they are all junk) So I support the site in my own way, just not with image ads
 
#9
Hey this is the USA. You can sue anyone or anything for any frivolous reason imaginable. Your chances of winning are miniscule, but what the hell. If you live in California or Massachusetts your chances of a win are better.

1). Check if your state has spam or spyware laws. If yes, your odds got better.

2). Document how many hours and what the costs to you of resolving the problem were.

3). Contact your local district attorneys office and file a complaint.
----Invasion of privacy, identity thefty, unlawful entry?

4). Contact your state attorney generals office and file a complaint.

5). Send complaint letters to your senators (email) and congressman (snailmail).
---- Congressmen don't know how to use the internet yet. Senators do.

6). Contact your local american civil liberties offcie and see if they have any interest in taking the case on.

None of this may be worth the effort, but if enough people do it legislation shows up to ban spyware.

AND figure out which sites dumped the spyware on you. Sue and file complaints against them. Send their names to adaware, spybot S&D, etc. Get them listed as sites to be blocked. This will hit them in the wallet where it really hurts. You won't win but it will scare them into using less invasive advertising.
 

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
#10
zeke_mo said:
Adblock works fine for osnn, it was built around the option to block ads and still see the normal site. And they arent activeX they are extenstions.....big difference
Plugin - Extension, they are basically the same. Either way - Firefox sux .. Plain and simple.

Also the reason I block the adds is becuse it slows the site down to a crawl. There are times where it won't even load because of them ..
 
#11
Johnny said:
Either way - Firefox sux .. Plain and simple.
I disagree. What exactly sucks about it? Yes there are a few (veryfew) sites that FF has a problem with out there, but only because theywere coded specifically for IE (non-standard code), or coded by idiots(broken code). I can't name even one site I generally want to visitthat FF has a problem with.

Now on the upside, FF has popup blocking (yes IE has finally got thattoo now), tabbed browsing and interface customization. You can easilyadd adblock, download manager, winamp (or 15 other players) control,dictionary search, page and text translations and a huge amount ofother extensions.

Plus it won't take in any spyware. I can live without ActiveX support. When do you need that anyway?

So you may not like Firefox for whatever reason. But does it plainly and simply suck? I think not. :p
 
#12
well said zedric :D i didn't wanna change at first from IE but mafia kept on pushing do it do it so i did and now i dont wanna go back to IE but true there are a few things that dont work but heik firefox is still the best :D
 

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political User
#13
Zedric said:
I disagree. What exactly sucks about it? Yes there are a few (veryfew) sites that FF has a problem with out there, but only because theywere coded specifically for IE (non-standard code), or coded by idiots(broken code). I can't name even one site I generally want to visitthat FF has a problem with.

Now on the upside, FF has popup blocking (yes IE has finally got thattoo now), tabbed browsing and interface customization. You can easilyadd adblock, download manager, winamp (or 15 other players) control,dictionary search, page and text translations and a huge amount ofother extensions.

Plus it won't take in any spyware. I can live without ActiveX support. When do you need that anyway?

So you may not like Firefox for whatever reason. But does it plainly and simply suck? I think not. :p


Well said. I agree 100%....... boo to IE
 
#14
System Restore is a last resort.

Firefox is pretty dope. I havn't had very many web browsing glitches with it at all, and the cookie/active-x management is unparalelled.

I have however had success in securing my IE relatively well. The SP2 additions help me stop the popups entirely, and I've slowly set up the trusted, non-trusted sites. I've asked it to prompt me for most changes, and I start the browser with a customized shortcut that forces the home page to google every time. Prevents a changed home page from starting the spyware/adware flood. Every once in awhile I run a hijackthis scan to see what's changed.

Best way to avoid n-case is not to agree to the installation. Here's the best part about n-case. you can remove it in add/remove programs. Then of course run your spybot, adaware (updated of course) and get Microsoft (GIANT) Anti-spyware up and running. It will rid you of the footprint that annoyingly keeps installing itself.

Another good hiding spot for these spyware bastardos - c:\Winnt\downloaded program files (sometimes c:\windows\downloaded program files) --- bring it up in DOS and check out what's in there. any unfamiliar looking .dll or .inf files ... google them. check out any .exe files while you are at it. Also, keep an eye on your registry start up keys. I use Hijack This or spybot to monitor it, but you can also navigate directly.

The magic keys are:
HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run

Google the stuff you don't recognize, and learn about it.
I've noticed recently some are starting to install themselves as services.
Google unusual looking services, (in 2000/XP/2003 start, run, services.msc)

Also check out this key:
HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run services

In any case I get carried away. There is of course more, I believe spybot can immunize against the silent installation of n-case products, but if they somehow get an opt-in by you, it installs regardless of spybot's immunization active-x helper. Now blocking some 2400 different threats.

Don't get me wrong. I still get spyware infections. It's all that pron I'm always after.... and of course other unmentionables in this forum. It's just that I've been battleing spyware for a long time, and I havn't given up completely on IE, though I understand all those touting Firefox out there. It's almost every bit as awesome as people say it is.
 

Evil Marge

I Rule
Political User
#15
Johnny said:
Also the reason I block the adds is becuse it slows the site down to a crawl. There are times where it won't even load because of them ..
I sometimes have to use the most crappiest pc you can imagine but don't have problems with the ads slowing things down :)
 
#17
yoyo said:
OK, try to sue a company that had $19,395,033.00 revenue in 2003. :angry:

180solutions, Inc.
Address: 3600 136th Place SE
City: Bellevue
Province: WA
ZIP Code: 98006
Country: USA
That's a few blocks down from the Microsoft campus. Maybe BillG can go bitch-slap them :D

LeeJend said:
Hey this is the USA. You can sue anyone or anything for any frivolous reason imaginable.
That's so true.


SPeedY_B said:
or don't use windows.

*runs and hides in a very small corner*
...or don't use a computer at all. :p
 
#18
I've had a good run with IE, hardly any spyware at all on any of my machines at home, but then I take precautions. Though I like the way FireFox goes about things, I still use IE as my browser of choice.

As for work, we have over 800 machines packed with spyware/adware, admin HELL! and I agree IE is the main culprit, but so are the people using the machines as they don't give a *hit and just hit 'Ok' on any prompt just to get to the content they want!!!

PS. Use Lynx and you'll get no spyware at all ;)
 
#19
RickyC said:
but so are the people using the machines as they don'tgive a *hit and just hit 'Ok' on any prompt just to get to the contentthey want!!!
Exactly! :) In IE you can do that, in Firefix you can't. ;)
 

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
#20
I too didnt really want to change to firefox but I was sick and tired of spyware, and I didnt get ANY install notices. So I tuffed it out and went to firefox, havent had spyware since (cept if it comes with an install). I recommend firefox.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,013
Latest member
Pdawgintown