Can I run 2 computers off of 1 DSL modem?..

P

P-R

if so, how do I go about doing it? Do I need a router or something? im not gonna have internet in a week unless I can somehow run 2 pc's off 1 DSL modem. thanks, any help would be appreciated ;)

There are 3 ways to share a DSL/Cable connection. One is with a hub and use Internet Connect Sharing, Two is to log onto a NT or Win2k Server, and three get a gateway/router. The router is easy to configure, and prices have come way down. A 4 port model is absolutely affordable. I have installed 3 dlink 707- 7 port models which work great, and many models have print server ability too(share the printer with no host computer slowdowns).

Cheers!

thanx, im being told that cable will be alot easier to setup for 2 pc's, ill have to see what happens

cable and dsl are both the same when setting up a network with a router.

i have dsl networked thru a Linksys 4-port Cable/DSL router.

when i got it, it was $100 USD, but it has come down a lot since then. It is incredibly easy to configure, for both, cable and dsl.

Asus P3B-F
P3 500
320mb pc 100 ram
Ati Rage Fury 32mb @ 102.97mhz
Quantam Fireball 13gig
Western Digital 10gig
Pioneer 8x DVD 48x CD

You forgot another solution that works great. Get 3 network cards. 2 in the "shared" pc, and 1 in the other. Connect your internet to one of the cards, and share it. just use the other to connect via network to the other PC. XP will take care of the rest.

It's really easy. I had it on cable, then switched to ADSL and it works just the same way. A LAN connection is a LAN connection after all =P Only the modem is different.

i like my router cuz with the easy XP internet gateway, i can easily see whats the hapz on my network

ive decided to go with cable, what exactly do I need now to run them both off 1 modem? 1 pc will be in my room, the other will be 1 floor anove, like what exactly do I need to buy? ill spend upto $150 only.

Originally posted by Mister Zee
You forgot another solution that works great. Get 3 network cards. 2 in the "shared" pc, and 1 in the other. Connect your internet to one of the cards, and share it. just use the other to connect via network to the other PC. XP will take care of the rest.

It's really easy. I had it on cable, then switched to ADSL and it works just the same way. A LAN connection is a LAN connection after all =P Only the modem is different.

Mr. Zee - Correct me if I'm wrong, but with your plan, wouldn't the computer with two nics have to be turned on for the other computer to get on the net connection?

I want it so that 1 computer isint the server, like so the main computer doesnt have to be on order for the other computer to able to connected to the net. know what im trying to say?

i think u gotta get a hub or a router to act as a server then.

which is better? hub or router, all I know is that routers are like $150 and hubs are like $50

i have a router as i mentioned before. router has more security built in and its REALLY easy to set up for the newbies like me. i dont know much on hubs. my friend has a hub working on ADSL and it acts as a server without any proxy server setups or ne thing, just plug and play. With routers, there is a lot of security including integrated ZA

I dont care about security or whatever, I just want to be able to share 1 cable connection with 2 pc's without 1 being a server, once I figure out everything I need, I should have no prblems figuring something out.

so lets say I go buy a hub, do I put the main cable line in that? and plugin the other 2 lines into it to share the connection?
:confused:

No, no, wait, hold up!
You can NOT use a hub only!

A hub is a dumb device that just splits network traffic. That's it.

A router on the other hand is an active device. It checks incomming packages and sends them (or drops them) to the appropriate destination. Since the router uses NAT (Network Address Translation) it can mask your two computers from the outside providing a little extra security and make the whole thing run on only one public IP.

Your should buy a router, NOT a hub. (Of course you can buy a hub to if the router has too few ports but in your case that's no problem)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back