Can I delete these file

93tbirdsc

In windows diectory there is a bunch of files/folders with long names and $ in blue, as I am not at home and the computer I am typing this from is running 2000 I am not sure of the accully names but I hope you get the point. can I delete these folders and not worry about anything?

If I remember correctly names in blue with a $ are compressed files. I have a few of those in my Windows folder, and they are mostly backups from when I installed SP1.

As for deleting them... I'm not sure if its safe or not. If you are really hurting for space you could move them out of the Windows folder before you delete them to make sure windows doesn't need them. But I would play it safe and just leave them there.

the blue $ file names are compressed files which are automaticlly compressed after a length of time which it hasnt been accessed for. I would agree with Justins safty of not removing the files incase they are important files but u can move them if you are short of file spaces. Ive only really noticed the blue file names with txt files which i doubt are important.. Hope this helps

Sincerly Alex :)

Pretty sure they can go if you have sp1 installed. Wait & see what others have to say.

Yes can be deleted.

What SP1 does is that it creates uninstall folders and also backup folders. These can be deleted after some time if you feel comfortable with SP1 and not wanting to uninstall it.

If you do have a XP system with SP1 installed seperately, then this will apply to you, just delete the folder in question and thats it. Simple.

:blink:

I have SP1 loaded and I have had no problems since its release.

there are only 200MB why do you want to take the risk?don't touch anything in the windows folder.

I was just wondering more then anything space is not an issue, but i do clean my hard drive regularly so I don't run into problems that is why I asked the question. Thanks all for your help.

But if I remember right some of those were there before SP1

The files you are talking about are *Uninstall* Files/Folders for things such as "Windows Updates" "SP1 Install" and so forth, anything from MicroSquish that updates the OS. They look like this:

$NtUninstallQ309521$
$NtUninstallQ309961$
$NtUninstallQ310437$
$NtUninstallQ313484$
$NtUninstallQ314147$
$NtUninstallQ314862$

ETC...

I think it would be best to leave them alone. Now as for the SP1 folder, it would best to search the MicroSquish site to see if it is safe to delete it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back