Can I be my own ISP?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Why Do I need an ISP?
What Can I do to be my own ISP?
Can I be my own ISP?
What tools would I need, if this is possible?

Heeter

If you have to ask then you wont be able to be your own ISP...

Is anyone in here have their own ISP setup?

I have always wondered about this. It is only a question. I know I can't be my own

Heeter

$50,000 to start... several Unix servers and a boat load of knowledge

There is a way to let 56kers connect through you if you have broadband, theres some software that does. I havent got a clue how it works or what its called though.

Originally posted by PseudoKiller
$50,000 to start... several Unix servers and a boat load of knowledge
Plus a backbone and peering with other providers.

Originally posted by Zedric
Plus a backbone and peering with other providers.

Dont forget the Cisco router and PIX firewall...

All the inbound phone lines (for Dial Up)

If only you personally need it, its very easy to get a single phone line, modem, and an old server going. Then you can dial into your network at home and use a Cable or DSL modem.

JJB

Wow, Okay.

I kinda figured it was a setup only the big boys can do. Did not imagine like this though.

Heeter

Definitely not a good idea to be running a one man show. It's a full time job and more. We can always aspire though :)

JJB6486,
I can have my own ISP just for myself? I do have those pieces of hardware now. I think I misunderstood you.

Zedric, What can we/I use, if I were to be that incredibly filthy rich?

I really wouldn't mind trying it out, That would be wild.

Heeter

Originally posted by Heeter
Zedric, What can we/I use, if I were to be that incredibly filthy rich?
We will be needing bank account info :D

well if you want to be your own isp for it to be cheaper, A permenant 1Mbit connection to the internet(with a 1:1 contention ratio) would set you back $1500AUD/hour wholesale from Telstra in Australia

if you want to be your own ISP so you can use your broadband on dial-up, it's easy, it can be setup in XP Pro's Network Connections(even in windows 98!!) to accept incoming calls from your attached modem, although you wont be able to send/recieve calls while your dialed into yourself, but im not completely sure on how to do it though :)

I just remembered, What you could also do to be your own ISP is be part of a franchise, some ISPs do that :) :p

Woul'dnt it be easier to just have a t1 connection and do it that way?? with speakeasy you can have one for 500.00 a month .. Then if you get a couple of people on it you can somewhat supplement it ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back