Can anyone guess which device might be the one I came across accidentally?

newbienewb

OSNN Newbie
I am a new network admin in a small organization

We have small network that has three cisco 1700 series routers and one cisco 1800 series router and cisco PIX 515E firewall and cisco 2950 series switch(ip address is known to me)

I manage only one of cisco 1700 series router, but I know the ip address of another cisco 1700 series and the other cisco 1700 series I am not let known,as it wont be under my control.

and cisco 1800 series router's ip address is in different network( a public ip address assigned).

When I tried for web based management (from Internet Explorer) for me managing cisco 1700 series ip address, I accidentally typed another address, which is 192.168.1.someothernumber,which brough Enter username and password for "level 15 access" at 192.168.1.someno dialog box.

telnet to the above ip address is not allowed,as the telnet password is not set.

We could not find which router's ip address is this one, I could not enter its interface also, as our username,password is not accepted.

If I cancel that dialog box, I get Authorization Required
Browser not authentication-capable or authentication failed.

Can anyone guess which device might be the one I came across accidentally?

Thanks in advance

I guess what you can try and do is look into the arp table and look at the mac address and try and go from there...

Thanks for the tip!

Even for my Cisco 1700 series router when I try to access its web based management from IE I get same dialogbox!

Anyother clues and guesses please!

Level 15 is preferred access in Cisco, given the information provided, it is nearly impossable to find out where the dialogue box is coming from.

Check the arp table and find out what MAC address is associated with that IP. The only other way is to do a traceroute from the PC or switch or whatever you are using to the final destination.

We can manage any network device either through telnet,console(hyper terminal),and one more method is through the browser(IE,Firefox) called web based management interface, by which I tried to access this ip address.Any network device(mostly)that is set a user/pwd will ask for the same;

I did try traceroute already, the first hop itself is this ip address I am concerned with.So again no clues :suprised:

And one more info 2 more Cisco 2950 switches are also under our network.

Thanks again

Well man, I tried.

Anyone else?

Succeeded at last!

I tried the console connection to all my accessible devices and it is 2950 switch, waiting to reset once office hour closes! as my head wants me to do this too!

Thanks Brad for giving useful tips!

no worries man! Don't be a stranger!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back