Can anyone give me an opinion on this?

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Hi everyone,
I really need to upgrade my PC. In fact, in effect I need an entirely new PC. Here are my specs:

Abit Kt7A Mobo
2 x 256MB 133Mhz SD-RAM
Athlon TB 1.4Ghz
Albatron GeForce 4 Ti4200
Seagate 90GB HD
A crap case that gets so hot I have to take the side off

Plus other stuff like bog standard soundcard and DVD ROM etc.

Now, I really can't afford to get a whole new PC, I was looking at it the other day, and if I got all the parts I wanted, it'd come to about £500, which I just can't spare. Then, I across the following:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?BB-6430BUB

which I thought would tide me over nicely for another year or so until I have some more money. The only thing is, I'm not sure how good the mobo and stuff will be, and whether £200 is a fair price. Has anyone here ever bought one of these "barebones" things from Novatech?
Oh, and I'd rather have AGP than PCI-express at the moment because I don't really want to buy another graphics card.
So, can anyone tell me what they reckon to this thing?

Reps to the helpful ones! :)

Last edited:
You can probably get a decent machine by going the S754 way, BUT going for socket 754 is a dead-end if you want to upgrade in the future.

Not sure about that motherboard though.

Yeah, however I'm not fussed about upgrading this in the future, hopefully by the time that comes around I'll be able to spend a decent amount of money on a really high spec machine, but until then I was thinking this might be ok. I've read a couple of reviews on that mobo, one here, and it seems pretty good for the money. I'm inclined to buy this thing, I just need a nudge either way really.

If you want gaming you will still be crippled by that video card. It's ancient.

That bundle will give you another crap case (midi's are too small for fast, i.e. HOT systems) and another crap PSU (Watts means nothing anymore, it's capacity on the different voltages that matters now and if the PSDU is ATX 2 compliant). The MB is ok, FOXCONN is tolerable and that CPU is a big step up.

If you are only looking at something to tide you over for a year consider the configuration I'm running. It is of for all games now at high detail.
-Cheap motherboard & Sempron 2800 will at least triple your speed and cost half what the 754 does. (They all have built in sound and LAN now.)
-ATI 9800 PRO or Nvidia 6800 (not the GT). >2x increase in video speed, maybe 4x
-Get decent RAM (2-512MB PC3200), Power Supply (420W Antec or better) and Case (full tower with 2 inlet and 1 exhaust fan) now and reuse it next year.

Thank F**K that I didn't get that bag of bolts!

ray_gillespie said:
Hi everyone,
I really need to upgrade my PC. In fact, in effect I need an entirely new PC. Here are my specs:

Abit Kt7A Mobo
2 x 256MB 133Mhz SD-RAM
Athlon TB 1.4Ghz
Albatron GeForce 4 Ti4200
Seagate 90GB HD
A crap case that gets so hot I have to take the side off

Plus other stuff like bog standard soundcard and DVD ROM etc.

Now, I really can't afford to get a whole new PC, I was looking at it the other day, and if I got all the parts I wanted, it'd come to about £500, which I just can't spare. Then, I across the following:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?BB-6430BUB

which I thought would tide me over nicely for another year or so until I have some more money. The only thing is, I'm not sure how good the mobo and stuff will be, and whether £200 is a fair price. Has anyone here ever bought one of these "barebones" things from Novatech?
Oh, and I'd rather have AGP than PCI-express at the moment because I don't really want to buy another graphics card.
So, can anyone tell me what they reckon to this thing?

Reps to the helpful ones! :)

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back